Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking For Ideas... >

Looking For Ideas...

Looking For Ideas...

Old 01-27-2015, 09:00 AM

Default Looking For Ideas...

I have vowed to make all of my nieces and nephews a quilt. There's seven of them and they're all so special to me. The trouble is that my nephew, Temple, would like a quilt that has an eagle with fire tipped wings. Any suggestions on how I could go about doing that? I was thinking of appliqueing it, but how to do it is the question.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:51 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Find a coloring page that is a picture of an eagle that you like. Print the page and enlarge as necessary. Color it it whatever fashion you like. Add flames at the end of the wings if you wish. Cut apart the eagle and use the pieces as the pattern for your applique. I would use fusible web.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:02 AM
Power Poster

How about the quilt on the cover of this book? http://www.amazon.com/Phoenix-Quilt-Pattern-Without-Corners/dp/B00KOBHPGC/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1AR10SWG9D8RRH5G4YH9

You would also need to get the 10 degree wedge ruler to go with it. Technically this is a phoenix but I think it would fit the bill quite well.

Edited to add, this may even be a better pattern for you and you can applique the flames or use flame fabric in the background
http://phillipsfiberart.danemcoweb.c...eagle-pattern/

Last edited by feline fanatic; 01-27-2015 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:31 PM

I recently did a dove appliqued on a blue on blue background that looks like the sky, especially after it was quilted.
I got the picture of the dove from a website that has free coloring pages, took it to a copy shop and had it enlarged. I didn't know how much bigger it would need to be, so explained what I wanted to the young man who does the big enlargements. His grandmother is a quilter, so he knew what I wanted. He made several sizes for me, all of which I rolled up and took home and laid out on the proposed background. Because the dove was to be white, I chose a white on white fabric, cut the whole bird out of that fabrick and then fused it with lightweight Wonder Under onto the background fabric and appliqued the bird with light (very light) blue thread. I satin stitched the area between beak and head and places where the wing was defined by feathers. After my wonderful long arm quilter quilted it, the feathers looked like real feathers. I used a dark gold to hand embroider the eye.

I think you could do something similar with a soaring eagle picture you find in a color book on line. If you use Crayolas, you can color the fabric and heat set it. You could also use colored pencils if you go over the fabric with a medium that sets the colored pencils. Sorry I can'tremember the name of the medium.

I put a 1 inch white border around the blue sky and four inch borders in the order of the rainbow--red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, purple. It is a big, big quilt--120 inches by 120 inches and will be a bedspread for my daughter's king size bed. The project has been a lot of fun, but also a lot of work.

I know your eagle will turn out great and hope you have as much fun with it as I have had with the dove. froggyin texas
Old 01-27-2015, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
How about the quilt on the cover of this book? http://www.amazon.com/Phoenix-Quilt-Pattern-Without-Corners/dp/B00KOBHPGC/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1AR10SWG9D8RRH5G4YH9

You would also need to get the 10 degree wedge ruler to go with it. Technically this is a phoenix but I think it would fit the bill quite well.

Edited to add, this may even be a better pattern for you and you can applique the flames or use flame fabric in the background
http://phillipsfiberart.danemcoweb.c...eagle-pattern/
I love the second suggestion so much! And I do have the 10 degree wedge ruler. I found someone who does iron transfers to quilt blocks, but I love this idea so much, too! I might save the transfers for the back of the quilt and use this pieced version for the top. Thanks!
Old 01-28-2015, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Ps 150 View Post
I love the second suggestion so much! And I do have the 10 degree wedge ruler. I found someone who does iron transfers to quilt blocks, but I love this idea so much, too! I might save the transfers for the back of the quilt and use this pieced version for the top. Thanks!
It also occurred to me after I posted this that you can quilt the flames! I think that would look super cool as the flames would just be hinted at so if he outgrows this idea of flames coming from the eagles wings he will still use the quilt. Also I think a child would be delighted to "discover" the quilted flames as they wouldn't be so obvious at first.