Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for Maine fabric outlets >

Looking for Maine fabric outlets

Looking for Maine fabric outlets

Old 11-09-2011, 08:46 AM

Default Looking for Maine fabric outlets

Hi,
Some women I used to see at a guild I don't go to anymore went to two Maine fabric outlets last year. Anyone have any idea of what the names of outlets in Maine are, and where outlets are? Thanks in advance,
Nancy
Old 11-09-2011, 09:55 AM

I think the name of the store is "Mardens". They have a location in Scarborough and Sanford for just a few. Please visit the attached website to view all info on Mardens. You can also type Mardens in search section of this board and get info. on each store from other members! Good luck and happy shopping!
http://mardens.com/index.php?option=...&id=7&Itemid=8
Old 11-09-2011, 01:52 PM

I have been to the Mardens in Sanford and was truly amazed at the amount and quality of fabrics they had. I couldn't buy any due to the room in my suitcase. I do believe if i go back i am taking an empty one to fill at Mardens. The prices were well within my budget......
Old 11-09-2011, 03:01 PM

Ladies: You have made my evening. Hubby and I try to get to Maine every September but having a 17 year old dog has kept us close to home for the past 3 years. I can't wait to check out a Mardens and thanks for the suggestion. Has anyone been to Reny's? No fabric but a lot of fun to poke around in and the stores are all over at least the southern coast of Maine. There's a great quilt shop on Route 12 north of Kittery called Knights. Have been told about a new one that has sprung up in Freeport called Cotton Weeds but I can't vouch for it. Who says folks only go to Maine for the beach and lobsters!!!
Old 11-09-2011, 03:21 PM

Thank you, ladies!! That's where I am heading. Do they have Moda and Free Spirit fabrics, does anyone know?
Nancy
Old 11-09-2011, 03:40 PM

I am heading back home to NH in the Spring, I will make the trip to Mardens once again. I have forgotten about it. Another fabric store to stop in to see is in Center Harbor, NH, home of Keepsake Quilting. It is about 1 1/2 hours from Scarborough.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:17 PM

I went to Cotton Weeds a bit over a year ago. WONDERFUL shop! So pretty! Not an outlet if that is what you are looking for. They are online to get an idea of what they look like. Just google them.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:31 PM

Knights is a lovely shop! Mardens and Keepsake are on my goto list. It has awhile since I went to Knights, time to make another trip. Monday I hope to make it Pelham NH and visit Bits-N-Pieces quilt shop; every Mon their FQ are !1.75 almost 1/2 price.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:47 PM

Just a quick note. Not all Mardens in Maine have fabric. The ones in Southern Maine that have fabric are Scarborough, Sanford. Then coming up more North the best ones are Waterville, Brewer, Elsworth, Presque Isle. Some smaller stores tell you that they have material, but they only have a few bins with scraps, such as the Lincoln store. They have name brand fabrics too, but sometimes they are from previous years. They have also a lot of batiks. All fabrics of same color scheme are together and clearly marked. It is the best department of the whole store in my eyes. The only reason I go there is for the fabric.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:54 PM

I visited the Scarborough Marden's this fall and was pleasantly surprised. They had wide backs at $7.50 per yard. They carried quite a few brand names, Quilting Treasures, Maywood Studios, some Moda and some others I can't recall just now. They also had some generic named fabrics in bins in the aisle for $3 and $4 per yard! Fabrics are not this year's issues, but I don't play that way anyway! I just love fabric, no matter what the year!