Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: machine applique question

Blog Entries

machine applique question

My DGS wants the attached dragon on his quilt. It needs to be approximately 21" x 21". I thought originally that I would machine embroider it, but it's so large that I think it would be more practical to applique it. If I use fusible web to cut out the applique, it seems to me that the thin lines would be impossible for me to stitch down to the base fabric. I thought some of you may have suggestions for the best way to handle this problem. I don't do hand applique or hand embroidery.
    Thanks in advance,
    Carol
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Couldn't you use bias tape of the same color, or cut your own from the dragon fabric, for the thin lines?

Blog Entries
    How about fabric markers,crayons, pencils, acrylic paints ect.

Blog Entries
    Maybe use fusible on the larger portions, body & tail & satin stitch the webbing on the machine?
    Sounds like you can digitize for embroidery? Maybe just digitize the wings, 2 separate files, embroider those, then fuse the body??
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Power Poster
    When I have thin lines to appliqué, I cut them with Wonder Under and fuse them in place. You can get the appliqué all fused perfectly and then use a nice zig zag to go over them. Since you have the thin black strips underneath it will give you a guide to go over and you can space the zig zag a little more open without worrying about it looking sparse.

Blog Entries
    I would fuse the body and use the satin stitch on your machine to add the details. Just gradually narrow your stitch width as you sew with a close satin stitch.

I would fuse the main part and stitch it with machine. The really thin/narrow parts I would hand embroider with embroidery flos.

you could use fusable bias tape (clover makes it in 11 yard rolls- in colors & black- 1/4" & 1/8") you iron it on-then zigzag stitch it down. check 'stained glass quilts' to see what it is- i think you can find it at Clotildes, Nancy's notions, Keepsake quilting, ...
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I'm not sure the lines will be so thin that you wouldn't be able to fuse them. I would however break the dragon up into sections ... I wouldn't try to fuse it as one piece.

Try to enlarge and see how thick the thinnest line would be.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Could u machine appliqué the large portions and do a tight zigzag stitch for the thin lines? Just use a stabilizer.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast