Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Machine applique & quilting all at the same time

Machine applique & quilting all at the same time

Has anyone ever done machine applique, tight blanket stitch or satin stitch, through all three layers. It would be a way to partially quilt and do the applique all at once. This would be only on table runners and toppers with thin batting like flannel. Trying to save myself some time on items I will sell.
    I don't want to brag but I can still fit into the earrings I wore in high school.

Blog Entries
    I did and I have to admit it was a disaster. I did a satin stitch all around an intricate applique knot, and when it was all done and bound, the edges were super wavy. That sucker does NOT lay flat. It's possible that it was a combination of the satin stitch and my inexperience (this was several years ago). I have not attempted satin stitch quilting since.

I have appliqued through all three layers without any problems. I did use a blanket stitch. A satin stitch could be too heavy,

I have appliqued through all three layers without any problems. I did use a blanket stitch. A satin stitch could be too heavy,

I read your post again. If your are not using a thick batting, but just flannel a satin stitch should work.

i have *quilted* this way many times- i do alot of applique- must admit though---i never satin stitch- i just don't like the heavy thick stitching- i either use a blanket stitch or a small zigzag.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I have done it with the blanket stitch and was fine.

Yep blanket stitch or small zigzag.That worked fine. I once did satin stitch and the back was kind of puckered up. If I was going to buy it I wouldn't buy something puckered. (since I can pucker my own stuff hahahaha)

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to try it tomorrow. Let you know how it goes.
    I don't want to brag but I can still fit into the earrings I wore in high school.

Quote Originally Posted by mucky View Post
    I have done it with the blanket stitch and was fine.
    Me, too. I did a very quick little table topper for a friend as a hostess gift. It was a 10-minute block, and I used the blanket stitch around the "cathedral" curves, through Warm-n-Natural, so that was 4 layers of fabric plus the batting.

If you have any doubt about whether your machine can handle it, do a test swatch first. You may need to adjust the presser foot pressure. The machine I used is a 40-yer old Bernina that was the Lamborghini of sewing machines when it was new.

Oh wait - NO! I had to go back in to edit this. I didn't use the Bernina that time. It was the 45 yr. old Elna that was my mom's. Love those old machines! Also, on second thought, I think that would be 5 layers of fabric, counting the back. LOL.
    Last edited by Rose_P; 07-27-2012 at 06:00 PM.

When I applique, not much, I do it by hand through only the top.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast