Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Machine applique & quilting all at the same time

Machine applique & quilting all at the same time

Has anyone ever done machine applique, tight blanket stitch or satin stitch, through all three layers. It would be a way to partially quilt and do the applique all at once. This would be only on table runners and toppers with thin batting like flannel. Trying to save myself some time on items I will sell.
    I don't want to brag but I can still fit into the earrings I wore in high school.

Blog Entries
    I did and I have to admit it was a disaster. I did a satin stitch all around an intricate applique knot, and when it was all done and bound, the edges were super wavy. That sucker does NOT lay flat. It's possible that it was a combination of the satin stitch and my inexperience (this was several years ago). I have not attempted satin stitch quilting since.

I have appliqued through all three layers without any problems. I did use a blanket stitch. A satin stitch could be too heavy,

I have appliqued through all three layers without any problems. I did use a blanket stitch. A satin stitch could be too heavy,

I read your post again. If your are not using a thick batting, but just flannel a satin stitch should work.

Blog Entries
    i have *quilted* this way many times- i do alot of applique- must admit though---i never satin stitch- i just don't like the heavy thick stitching- i either use a blanket stitch or a small zigzag.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I have done it with the blanket stitch and was fine.

Yep blanket stitch or small zigzag.That worked fine. I once did satin stitch and the back was kind of puckered up. If I was going to buy it I wouldn't buy something puckered. (since I can pucker my own stuff hahahaha)

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to try it tomorrow. Let you know how it goes.
    I don't want to brag but I can still fit into the earrings I wore in high school.

Quote Originally Posted by mucky View Post
    I have done it with the blanket stitch and was fine.
    Me, too. I did a very quick little table topper for a friend as a hostess gift. It was a 10-minute block, and I used the blanket stitch around the "cathedral" curves, through Warm-n-Natural, so that was 4 layers of fabric plus the batting.

If you have any doubt about whether your machine can handle it, do a test swatch first. You may need to adjust the presser foot pressure. The machine I used is a 40-yer old Bernina that was the Lamborghini of sewing machines when it was new.

Oh wait - NO! I had to go back in to edit this. I didn't use the Bernina that time. It was the 45 yr. old Elna that was my mom's. Love those old machines! Also, on second thought, I think that would be 5 layers of fabric, counting the back. LOL.
    Last edited by Rose_P; 07-27-2012 at 06:00 PM.

When I applique, not much, I do it by hand through only the top.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Yes, I've done it and honestly it looks UGLY on the back of the quilt. Think about that. I ruined a project thinking it would be fine and it's not. You don't want to see that ugly stitching on the back.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marycumi View Post
    ditto here. i have done it on several small wallhangings
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

I have done that, but I used a straight stitch all around the edge of the applique. It was more like free motion quilting than appliqueing. I was pleased with the results. It was for a wall hanging.

Blog Entries
    I am doing that right now. Coming out beautiful

there is a group at a local sewing center that is doing a bed size quilt that way now....I have seen a finished one and it is cool......I have recently seen a work in progress so I was able to see the back side.....the appliqued square is machine stitched using various stitches that are on the machine using a thin batting instead of a stabilizer...then they are sashed, when all are done, they are sewn together another layer of thin batting and then backing and then quilted.....let me add that the blocks that have the batting/applique work are also quilt as you go...each one has its background line quilted, either squiggly, straight, diagonal, whatever, then the iron on appliques are put on, edges finished as in directions with stitches featured as built in on machines and etc.........I would like to try one, but don'twant to "join", would like to use patterns and use my own stash, don't need anymore fabric!!!!! Maybe I will "design" my own from coloring books or pattern books.......maybe, someday.......

I have done this, as many here, but not with a satin stitch. I agree it would be too heavy.

Blog Entries
    It's all good. I've used outline stitches of a design to quilt the project. A blanket takes allot of rehooping but it can come out real nice.
    Linda