Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine Applique:  Satin stich or Buttonhole?? >

Machine Applique: Satin stich or Buttonhole??

Machine Applique: Satin stich or Buttonhole??

Old 05-23-2014, 04:44 PM
Power Poster

Lightbulb Machine Applique: Satin stich or Buttonhole??

I joined a sewers group a few months ago that meets at the local senior center once a week. We are suppose to make a block for a baby quilt for one of our members consisting of a 9 patch and a snowball block. I have seen some of the blocks come in with hand embroidery, hand applique and machine embroidery. So after stewing for over two weeks, I came up with this design since I didn't have any yellow chenille. But since it is a baby quilt which I have had very little experience with, should I satin stitch it or buttonhole stitch?? I usually use Mettler silk finished thread. Will that worked?? I need to get started on it first thing in the morning. I used Heat and Bond lite. THANKS for any suggestions!!
Attached Thumbnails scotty-baby.jpg  
Old 05-23-2014, 04:54 PM
Power Poster

i usually use buttonhole only because i'm not that good at satin stitching but since it's for a baby, maybe satin is better to be sure there are no ravelling edges. your applique is adorable.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:58 PM
Power Poster

You could even do a zig zag if necessary. But any of the mentioned stitches should work well. if you do the button hole stitch, just do it smaller width and length. Cute doggie block!
Old 05-23-2014, 05:23 PM

I love buttonhole and am not a fan of satin stitch because I think it looks too "manufactured". So I always do buttonhole.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:57 PM

I do a small zig zag stitch for my appliqués. I think it is more forgiving than a satin stitch. Like Speter said, the satin stitch does look "manufactured" and if you veer off a bit it is pretty obvious. Also, can be a nightmare to rip out if you make a mistake!
Old 05-23-2014, 05:57 PM

I love your 9-patch and your appliqué! For a quilt that will be washed often, I use a satin stitch with a tear away stabilizer underneath. On other quilts, I use a buttonhole stitch. I do almost all of my appliqué on the machine. I am sure that whatever you decide to do, your appliqué will be beautiful.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:08 PM
Power Poster

I just re-read your post and realized you already used the heat and bond. I would use a satin stitch. Make a mock block and adjust your satin stich to the right width and length you like. Then make the quilt blocks knowing you have it all adjusted to the right amount of coverage but not too much thread to make it wavy. You can also use a tear away embroidery stabilizer to sturdy the design on the back of the block while you are stitching.

I have done both satin and the outline finish to applique. Depending on the project and fabric I plan on using. I like to use the light-weight fusible interfacing and sew the applique (right sides together. Meaning the fusible next to the good side of fabric) all around the outside edge at about a sixteenth of an inch. Clip the curves or snip the inverts. I then carefully cut a cross in the center of the interfacing back of the image, turn right side out and use a chopstick to smooth all the edges into shape. When that is done, I iron it to the block. Then you can be pretty safe to use a blanket/buttonhole stitch and have it stay on.

p.s.) If you feel it is too bulky, you can cut away all of the interfacing but about a quarter of an inch around the edges. This way it is iron on without the bulk.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 05-23-2014 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:02 PM
Power Poster

Since a baby quilt will be washed often, satin stitch will keep the appliqués looking good longer.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:25 PM

If you have a machine with other stitches built in you might want to test drive a few of them to use. I find them more forgiving than a buttonhole or satin stitch. I like the ones that make two or three stitches in each direction then go back the other way.
Old 05-24-2014, 02:28 AM
Power Poster

what ever stitch YOU like is fine- personally I pretty much never satin stitch around appliques- I do not like the heavy/stiff ridge of stitching. but that is my preference- some people always satin stitch- that is THEIR preference. I generally either do a blanket stitch or a small zigzag- maybe you could just put together a little *practice block* and try out a few options, decide what YOU like - then stitch your block- it is adorable by the way.