Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Buttonhole (blanket) stitch on your sewing machine

I've never used the buttonhole or blanket stitch on my sewing machine. I was playing with it last night, and I was wondering how it is stitched on your machines. Mine takes two stitches on the edge of the fabric, then two stitches into the fabric. Just wondering if anyones does one long stitch into the fabric. I think I would like that better.

My buttonhole stitch is completely different from my buttonhole stitch. On some machines the buttonhole stitch can be used like a satin stitch that goes over like your talking about wanting. Where as the blanket stitch creates a nice edge with one line of stitches going down the line you're sewing and then the stitch that cuts over. It's nice to use when doing applique.

I have a Bernina 160. I just love my blanket stitch. In fact, that was one of the deciding factors why I bought that particular model. That and the knee pedal for lifting the presser foot were what I wanted. My buttonhole only puts one stitch into the applique piece. I do have to use the mirror image button so the buttonhole stitch stitches to the left the way I want it.

I love my Viking Rose. The blanket stitch is indispensable in all sorts of appliqué, but little more so than when working with 30's fabrics. My machine takes two stitches along the line I'm sewing, then swings out once to the left, and back to my stitching line. Its default length and width make for a very tiny stitch, so depending on the project, I like to adjust it so it looks more like a hand-done blanket stitch.

Hmmm... time for me to track down a Sunbonnet Sue block for a prime example of how it can look when adjusted....

Blog Entries
    I have a Viking that I got fairly recently. I think it has the option to do the blanket stitch either way. I used the one with two steps along the edge and two steps in on a project I just did cause I thought it might make it more secure. But then I'm still experimenting with all my stitches. I plan to use the other one on another project for comparison.

Which Viking model did you get? My DF swears blue he's going to get me a Diamond one of these days, and I don't doubt him for one second. It's just a matter of when!

Blog Entries
    I think mine's a Sapphire. Not sure. It's made for quilters and I'm loving it. No in-hoop fancy embroidery but it has a 10 inch throat that I'm hoping will make my machine quilting easier. Just getting ready to try that on a couple of baby quilts.

pagan-

I have a Rose. Just started to get comfy with the sewing stitches. Haven't even used the embriodery unit. Have you? Is it worth diving in- throwing caution to the wind and actually using it? any tips?

Barb

I use my blanket stitch all the time. If I'm doing something real thin like a vine, I use the reqular setting. If it's a flower for instance, I sometimes will lengthen the stitch.

I use a piece of tear away stabilizer behind where I'm going to do a decorative stitch on the underside of it (under the back of the fabric). It helps the fabric not bunch up.

Yes, i used to sell vikings and most all the computerized have the buttonhole stitch and using the mirror image button can reverse it. I love it for lots of applique and quilting.

When I use the stabilizer with the blanket stitch, it seems really hard to pull away. Is there an easier way to do this?

Oh Barb go ahead and dive into embroidery, it's so wonderful what comes out of your machine. :)

Blog Entries
    My Bernina has a couple of different blanket stitches to applique with and it also has the satin stitch. I usually applique by hand...I just like it and I need the practice.

Yes, the embroidery is worth just diving into. I did my first tunic top this week...loads of fun and it even turned out pretty nice!

Best to use a wash away so you don't rip the stitches. Aqua mesh or solvy are great

Quote Originally Posted by Bernadette Harwood
    Yes, i used to sell vikings and most all the computerized have the buttonhole stitch and using the mirror image button can reverse it. I love it for lots of applique and quilting.
    I have a Viking and it doesn't have a buttonhole stitch!!
    I have been looking for something cheap that has a buttonhole stitch,like a Janome. I would love the Diamond but can't justify spending 10 grand for it.

Any of the viking computerized machines have the buttonhole stitch. Vikings are heavy duty and you get free training with your machine. hope you have a dealer near you. I would love a diamond too but I am happy with my Designer 1. Lots of people are trading their machines in to upgrade. Watch for a used machine, you might find a great deal.