Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine applique and stiff quilts >

Machine applique and stiff quilts

Machine applique and stiff quilts

Old 03-10-2014, 09:52 AM

Default Machine applique and stiff quilts

I do raw edge machine applique using light heat/bond but my quilts are stiffer than I would like. I haven't had much success with misty fuse/ too much trouble. Is it possible just to school glue the applique then stitch around the edges and it still be durable?
Old 03-10-2014, 09:54 AM
Power Poster

generally after your 'fused' appliques are laundered they soften right up- the fusible washes away. lots of people do use elmers glue- that too washes away- although it can be a bit more difficult to stitch through.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:33 AM

You can certainly use Elmer's to stick them down. I think this would work if you were going to do some stitching inside of the applique. If you aren't and especially if they are large pieces, once you wash it there would be nothing holding the applique to the quilt and you might get some sagging. The fusible keeps the qpplique (at least mostly) adhered to the rest of the quilt once it is washed since it doesn't wash out.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:23 AM

I have used 505 to adhere my appliques especially if I plan on doing lots of quilting within the applique. The tiny pieces not always to easy. I spray the applique only so as not to have the "glue" where my hands are on the background fabric. Other than that I use misty fuse or there is something else (can't remember the name) that is very light weight. Good luck on your choices.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:26 PM

Heat and Bond makes a featherweight fusible. It is even lighter than the Heat and Bond Lite. It is now my fusible of choice. I made an appliqué quilt where the appliqué block was a large dachsund measuring approx 6" x 10" and there were 16 blocks. I used the featherweight and the quilt drapes just like a non appliqué quilt.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:24 PM
Power Poster

I wonder what problems Misty Fuse gave you? I have used it without difficulty. I do always use parchment paper with it. In fact, you can iron Misty Fuse between two sheets of parchment paper, remove one sheet while still warm, and you then have a paper-backed fusible to use similar to other paper-backed fusibles (can draw on the parchment paper, etc.).
Old 03-10-2014, 08:46 PM

Another option you may try is to trim down your fusible interfacing prior to pressing it to your fabric. Leave only the outer 3/4" of the design so that it's more of an outline as opposed to completely covering your design. Once adhered to your block, you can cut away some of your background beneath the applique to eliminate some of the bulk. I've not tried this method yet, but it sure seemed like a good idea.