Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stiff Applique >

Stiff Applique

Stiff Applique

Old 09-15-2011, 05:04 PM

I recently made a quilt with applique. The applique was adhered with fusible stuff...I don't know what it is called, but I iron the pattern onto the back of the fabric, then cut along the lines, then take a pin to take off the backing leaving the pattern to be ironed on the quilt, then I used a buttonhole stitch to finish it off. (I don't know if I said that right). But after the quilt was finished, I noticed that the quilt was stiff where the applique is. Any reason why it is stiff and will it soften up after washing it??
Any ideas??
Old 09-15-2011, 05:05 PM

That really depends on the type of fusible that you used. some will not.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:07 PM
Power Poster

This is a problem with using fusible. There are light weight fusibles that are less bulky, but another way to handle is draw the shape on the interfacing, then cut away most of the center leaving 1/8 to 1/2" around the outside. Fuse to fabric, then cut the shape out. Now you have fusible only on the perimeter of the applique.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:09 PM

This is the way I do it, Paperprincess. It is called window applique and I first learned of this method from a Love of Quilting show. Works so slick.:)
Old 09-15-2011, 05:30 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
called window applique and
I never had a name for it. Thanks.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:10 PM
Power Poster

I have found Wonder Under to be pretty stiff, regular Steam-a-Seam less so, and Steam-a-Seam Light to be considerably less stiff.

MistyFuse is an extremely lightweight fusible.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:41 PM

I only use a fusible if its a wall hanging never found anything that doesn't make it stiff - so I do needleturn without any fusible if its for a quilt to be used
Old 09-15-2011, 10:51 PM

Ultra Bond that you get at Wal Mart that is prepackaged has a non-sewable and a lite that is sewable. When I first started I didn't realize there was a difference and used the nonsewable and it was really stiff and made my needle all gummy. The lite works really good and I use the window applique method.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Sunflower Girl
Ultra Bond that you get at Wal Mart that is prepackaged has a non-sewable and a lite that is sewable. When I first started I didn't realize there was a difference and used the nonsewable and it was really stiff and made my needle all gummy. The lite works really good and I use the window applique method.
It's called heat-n-bond, not ultra bond.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:22 AM
Power Poster

there are many different paper backed fusables on the market- you want to make sure you use a (lite) one- such as steam a seam lite- or heat & bond lite; wonder under is another-
the heavier fusables do not soften up- they are better suited to use for wall hangings or purses/totes-
if it was easy to sew through you probably have the right one- and it will soften up-
but if it was difficult to sew through- or gummed up your needle at all it is probably one that will not soften up.
it is important to read the packaging-instruction sheet that comes with any fusable to make sure you are getting one that is (correct) for your use.
you will have to finish-quilt and bind the quilt- then wash and dry it to find out if it will soften up -
good luck