Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine embroidery for labels >

Machine embroidery for labels

Machine embroidery for labels

Old 07-21-2011, 04:07 AM

I love to quilt and would like to make my own labels and do some lettering on the front of my quilts. I ONLY want an embroidery machine that does lettering, not pictures, etc. Something simple. Does anyone have a machine like this? What is the price range to buying something like this? Is there a large learning curve to it? I am clueless about it...

I can go to a sewing machine store and try them out. I just want a starting point so I don't buy too much or get taken advantage of. Thanks.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:11 AM

if you just want letters, i would go with a sewing machine that does them (my janome does) embroidery machines can do anything you program them to so i don't think are any cheap ones that just do letters
Old 07-21-2011, 04:52 AM

My Sapphire came with 3 fonts (ABC) and a 4th I don't recognize. There is upper & lower case but I cannot change the size by much.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:28 AM

I have a brother SE 350..... I can do pic as well as fone and it is a combo, so it is a sewing machine as well... It comes with 4 fonts but u can download or puchase others. cost $ 300-400.
It's down side is it will on ly do up to a 4 x 4 hoops sz... other brothers are slightly higher and will do 5x7 and up. I make my own labels up to 5-6 lines. Just can't get too wordy.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:30 AM

I've noticed the the cutter the Sissix (I think I spelled it right) has monagrams. I see them on Craigslist all of the time.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kathy
if you just want letters, i would go with a sewing machine that does them (my janome does) embroidery machines can do anything you program them to so i don't think are any cheap ones that just do letters
That's what I was going to suggest -- I have a Viking Platinum, and it does letters. I've used it for labels a couple of times now.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:37 PM

My Pfaff sewing machine also does letters and numbers. It works just great.

Though now that I do have an embroidery machine I use this instead as I have more choices in fonts and size.

ali
Old 07-21-2011, 06:02 PM

I'm not sure if I can help with your problem, but, I thought this would be a good opportunity to ask my embroidery question, I just recently got a Brother 770, and I tried to create letters small enough for a quilt label and I can't seem to get the fonts small enough, does anyone know how I can get the letters included on the machine small enough to make a label.