Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
machine embroidery quilt labels >

machine embroidery quilt labels

machine embroidery quilt labels

Old 07-27-2010, 11:48 AM

Hi, I recently bought an inexpensive (ok - cheap) embroidery machine from WalMart - it's the one that uses a 4" x 4" hoop. I have had great luck finding outline designs online to use for the quilting part, but can't seem to find FONT small enough to fit onto a label. Do any of you embroider your quilt labels - any tips you can share - or resources as to where I can find small font. I used the built in font on the machine to make a wall hanging and had to do only a few letters at a time - was difficult to get them lined up right. Thanks for all your help - this is the GREATEST board!
Old 07-27-2010, 11:58 AM

If you PM Karenchi she could probably help.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:58 AM
Power Poster

Does the machine let you resize the font ? I have the Brother SE270D and it has three sizes for the font, the smallest would work for a label.

otherwise check out buying a font to add to the Machine . What machine do you have ?
Old 07-27-2010, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b
Does the machine let you resize the font ? I have the Brother SE270D and it has three sizes for the font, the smallest would work for a label.

otherwise check out buying a font to add to the Machine . What machine do you have ?
It's the Brother SE-400. It does have 3 sizes of font on the machine, but I just can't seem to get it small enough to fit 23 spaces/letters on one line. Maybe it's because I have such a small machine?
Old 07-27-2010, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by dphelps
If you PM Karenchi she could probably help.
thanks for the referral.... I did PM her
Old 07-27-2010, 12:22 PM
Power Poster

You may have to change the layout to sideways and do it in steps, I know that is not as simple as you might have wanted , But I believe it is doable
Old 07-27-2010, 12:51 PM

Look for stitch era universal. That's what I have and I just made my first label on it last Sunday. I got it somewhere online with a free download, but you don't get the tutorial video that you would if you paid for the shipping to get an actual disk for the program. If you watch the videos on you tube though you get a good idea of what to do. I also have the Brother SE400 and printed out a nice one with 5 lines oof info on it:
A Quilt For
The recipient
Made With Love By:
Your name here

You are also able to center it, so it looks nice. I wish I had remembered to take a picture of the quilt, label, and the four potholders before I mailed them out. Oh well, hope this helps.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:41 PM

I use SewWhatPro from www.sandscomputing.com to make my labels. They have a free trial for 30 days and you can do a lot with that program. It will resize your design for you so it will fit into the space you want.... but depending on how much you want to put on the label you may find that it won't stitch out well because it may be too cramped. The website I gave you also has tutorials on it to show how to resize and merge. They also have a great yahoo group that will answer any question you have on their products.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:50 PM

One suggestion for those of you making labels is if you use a finer thread for small fonts the letters look really nice. Most embroidery thread is 40 wt. which is sometimes too thick for small fonts, but if you use 60 wt. thread or 100, the letters look much nicer.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:36 PM

Thank you all for the suggestions. I really do appreciate this board and all you friendly, helpful "friends"