Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine quilting- do you attach binding to back or front first? >

Machine quilting- do you attach binding to back or front first?

Machine quilting- do you attach binding to back or front first?

Old 04-22-2013, 08:58 AM

I do the same as most others when doing by machine, but no one has mentioned that using the walking foot is the BIG secret to success for applying the binding. Thanks for the thread.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:07 AM

There is a method where you sew to the front, flip to the back, then SID on the front. This only works if you have at least 1/8" more binding on the back than the front, so the stitching will catch it. I, personally, don't like the look of this and if I was giving it as a gift, would never do it. For the charity quilts I do, I stitch on the back, flip to the front, then use a buttonhole stitch to secure the edge.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:25 AM

I've been making these wallets, and I have found that by using my 1/4 inch quilting stitch on my machine that if I keep it on that stitch and line it up with the edge of the binding with the middle marking line on my presser foot. (when I turn it to the other side) it almost comes out perfect every time. LOVE IT. Follow the stitch line that you sewed the binding on other side. I don't know if I am making myself clear or not. On my quilts I have always hand stitched them
Old 04-22-2013, 01:04 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Yep, that's it.
Jan in VA
I do it like quiltnNan and Jan. I tried machine sewing the binding on once, didn't like it. I plan my next quilt as I hand sew the binding to the back.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:31 PM

I attach binding to the back first and machine sew on the front for charity quilts. If I made a competition quilt, I would sew it to the front first and hand sew the back.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by sharin'Sharon View Post
I do the same as most others when doing by machine, but no one has mentioned that using the walking foot is the BIG secret to success for applying the binding. Thanks for the thread.
You are right about the walking foot. My Pfaff with IDT is the best machine I have for bindings because of that IDT.