Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine quilting- do you attach binding to back or front first? >

Machine quilting- do you attach binding to back or front first?

Machine quilting- do you attach binding to back or front first?

Old 04-21-2013, 06:01 AM

I usually do the faux corded bindings. Those are sewn to the back first and then sewn on the front. Makes an absolutely gorgeous quilt binding.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by wilson4514 View Post
I too, have struggled with which way to go.................I now attach to the front and stitch in the ditch to the back . I go slowly and I can adjust as I go I find the front looks better that way
That's the way I do it, too. I also cut my binding at 2-3/4 rather than 2-1/2 and take a 3/8 inch seam when attaching. Seems to work better for me.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:33 AM

I machine stitch to the front, flip the binding and use an short applique stitch to sew it down to the back.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:09 AM

Same as the other - when hand sewing the binding on, I machine stitch on the front. When machine stitching the binding one - I sew on the back first and then machine stitch on the front. I like using a blanket stitch on the front.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:34 AM

I use 2 1/4 strips. I sew onto the back, then flip it. I use steam a seam to fasten it down at the stitch line then sew the front with a blanket stitch (I think that's the one...looks like a continuous capital E). It catches the front and the back exactly the same and looks really nice (in my opinion).
Old 04-21-2013, 10:44 AM

I saw this before and did google it now: http://www.52quilts.com/2012/05/tues...c-binding.html

It's a really nice finish!

I sew on machine to the back then flip to the front. I was pretty impressed with myself when I decided to make a "puffy frame" on a wall hanging by leaving the batting in as filling. Of course, I soon found it had been done already.

Originally Posted by quilttiger View Post
There is a method...believe it is called accent binding (sorry, I am in the family room and the information I have is downstairs and I have a cat all snuggled up in my lap. Otherwise, I would look for the information to pass on to you, smile). It is all done by machine. I just Googled "accent binding technique for quilts" and a few websites popped up. There are images for you to see. It has the look of piped binding and it is gorgeous when coordinating colors are used.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:17 PM

It depends on whether I want to highlite the fabric as a frame or match the back...I have done ittofit the project.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by watson's mom View Post
I stitch to the front and fold over to the back and hand stitch in place. I had carpal tunnel in both hands but had it fixed one at a time. I have never been sorry only wish I had gone sooner. Not a bad operation and recovery time was very short.
same for me. Had the left done 9 weeks ago & the right just 1 week ago. I'm slowing hand sewing down the binding on the last quilt I finished. I too wish I'd had it done sooner- mine got past moderate to severe.
love doing the flange binding
Old 04-21-2013, 05:49 PM

I sew to the front by machine and hand sew the back. I haven't had any luck doing the whole thing by machine.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:26 PM

I aalso sew binding on the back first--then flip it to the front and sew it down with my machine. It turns out fine.