Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: machine quilting

This topic has probably been done to death but it's new for me. I have a little machine, a Brother HE-120 and it works well for me. I don't have anyone to "quilt" for me now, and I am wondering if I could maybe do a nice machine quilting job on this machine. I always made my tops and had them quilted but it isn't possible any more. Does anyone have any tips on doing this? I know I can quilt in the ditch, but I was hoping to do something a little nicer. Thanks for any help.

Senior Member stitchingmemories's Avatar
    You absolutely can. I just finished my first "real" quilt with my little Brother 6000i and it worked great. Now, my skills really need honing but the machine worked fine. You can do a stippling stitch (which I was scared to death to do but it worked fast and was a lot of fun to do). Here's a video that helped me, there are many more out there. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-d_cLN-ayE I hope this helps. How close you make the meandering stitches will determine how stiff your quilt becomes. The further apart the fluffier the quilt effect. I hope this helps.

Oh, welcome to the board!!

Hi...
    Don't worry we all have our "new challenges" all the time....
    You would like the machine stiplling but make sure to use a thicker needle and embroidery thread....(the gloves are very helpful) and I wouldn't recomend to use the pins.....
    I would rather baste the project first ( long stitches basting) and then when I am just ready to stipple I would rip them of in this section that is going to be stippled.....
    I also found out that i can use any kind of thread in the bobbin...only the upper thread works better with the embroidery thread...(also looks much better).....
    :thumbup: Good luck

if you would like tolook over designs day style designs

Blog Entries
    Try some smaller sandwiches for practice. These make great potholders LOL
    If you have problems, come back here and you will get a lot of help :D:D:D