Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
machine quilting >

machine quilting

machine quilting

Old 10-10-2010, 06:50 AM

This topic has probably been done to death but it's new for me. I have a little machine, a Brother HE-120 and it works well for me. I don't have anyone to "quilt" for me now, and I am wondering if I could maybe do a nice machine quilting job on this machine. I always made my tops and had them quilted but it isn't possible any more. Does anyone have any tips on doing this? I know I can quilt in the ditch, but I was hoping to do something a little nicer. Thanks for any help.
Old 10-10-2010, 07:05 AM

You absolutely can. I just finished my first "real" quilt with my little Brother 6000i and it worked great. Now, my skills really need honing but the machine worked fine. You can do a stippling stitch (which I was scared to death to do but it worked fast and was a lot of fun to do). Here's a video that helped me, there are many more out there. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-d_cLN-ayE I hope this helps. How close you make the meandering stitches will determine how stiff your quilt becomes. The further apart the fluffier the quilt effect. I hope this helps.

Oh, welcome to the board!!
Old 10-10-2010, 07:18 AM

Hi...
Don't worry we all have our "new challenges" all the time....
You would like the machine stiplling but make sure to use a thicker needle and embroidery thread....(the gloves are very helpful) and I wouldn't recomend to use the pins.....
I would rather baste the project first ( long stitches basting) and then when I am just ready to stipple I would rip them of in this section that is going to be stippled.....
I also found out that i can use any kind of thread in the bobbin...only the upper thread works better with the embroidery thread...(also looks much better).....
:thumbup: Good luck
Old 10-10-2010, 09:20 AM

if you would like tolook over designs day style designs
Old 10-10-2010, 10:07 AM
Power Poster

Try some smaller sandwiches for practice. These make great potholders LOL
If you have problems, come back here and you will get a lot of help :D:D:D