Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine quilting throat space-what about height space?? >

Machine quilting throat space-what about height space??

Machine quilting throat space-what about height space??

Old 09-18-2009, 11:44 PM

I have a Janome 1600P with a 9-inch wide by 5.5-inch high throat. So far, I have not had a problem with quilts being too "fat" in the throat. With the 9-inch width, however, I only have about 4-5 inches on quilting space. I usually use Warm & Natural batting so the sandwich isn't too fluffy. So far, it works for me.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:14 AM

I have the Hobby Quilter and it has a 17" throat. I have never measured the height of the work area. I am hoping to pick it up tomorrow at my other house and bring it here with me. I will surely measure it now.

I have used different density of batting and once it is sewn, it is not as bulky as you think. The idea of the longer throat is to give you more stitching area on the quilt. If you do a quilt and you are at the end of it, and it takes up half of that 17 inches that is less area you can quilt. I have never had a problem with the heigth of it. I have done many queen and king size quilts and haven't had a problem.....

Now with the home sewing machines/quilting machines I don't know the answer to that one.

Barb
Old 09-19-2009, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Stitching4Fun
I have the Hobby Quilter and it has a 17" throat. I have never measured the height of the work area. I am hoping to pick it up tomorrow at my other house and bring it here with me. I will surely measure it now.

I have used different density of batting and once it is sewn, it is not as bulky as you think. The idea of the longer throat is to give you more stitching area on the quilt. If you do a quilt and you are at the end of it, and it takes up half of that 17 inches that is less area you can quilt. I have never had a problem with the heigth of it. I have done many queen and king size quilts and haven't had a problem.....

Now with the home sewing machines/quilting machines I don't know the answer to that one.

Barb

Thank you Barb for that response!! I wonder if anyone has ever thought of that before...:)Skeat
Old 09-19-2009, 06:02 AM

I have a Bailey 15", one time I used a thick polyester batt on a queen, and was quilting a 9" pattern, after rolling it twice I didn't have room to move foward enough to do the whole pattern but still had plenty room at the top. < live and learn...... die and forget it all!>