Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
machine recomendations >

machine recomendations

machine recomendations

Old 10-25-2014, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I don't know of any quality sewing machine new with features that will be $150 or less. If there was one we would all have it.
I saw a Janome 2212 on Amazon for $149. It had a lot of good reviews.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:41 AM

I have a selection of makes ages and models. Love playing. If you only want one machine I would suggest you go to your local dealer see which machines from the very very wide selection he sells. Find the one you like after playing with those in your price range and slightly higher. Now go and look on ebay and craiglist and any other second hand sites and see if you can find one. If it goes wrong your dealer should be able. To repair or service itfor you.
Good luck.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:28 AM

My mom had a Singer slant o' matic that was suppose to be a good machine, but I fought with that thing, always. She upgraded to a Singer Diana, same thing. There was always something that made me have to stop and readjust or rethread. I bought my Bernina 930 27 years ago, and have never looked back at another Brand. My daughters sewed on the 930 for 4-H and did not have the trauma and drama that I went through sewing on my mom's Singer. You want a stress free machine; save up your money and hunt for a used Bernina. (Not a Bernette)
Old 10-26-2014, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by samanthe75 View Post
hello, newbie here. I have been looking for the perfect sewing machine for a couple of years now and my most recent failure has been the brother cs6000i sounded as if the needle was hitting something underneath after only 20 minutes of regular sewing. So I am looking for recommendations for a sewing/quilting machine with"cruise control" variable speed setting for around $150.
Call Brother for sure - all they can do is say no, right? But please think about your sewing budget. If you get a machine that annoys you, you will quit sewing - too much bother. Buy something that makes sewing fun.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:12 AM

I have a Brother CS6000i that I paid $179 for 5 years ago. I used it exclusively for all my quilting for 2 years and now use it for workshops. I've loved it and think for the price it is a great machine. Like others have mentioned, I'd call Brother or go back to where you purchased it. This doesn't sound right to me.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by SuzieQuilts View Post
My mom had a Singer slant o' matic that was suppose to be a good machine, but I fought with that thing, always. She upgraded to a Singer Diana, same thing. There was always something that made me have to stop and readjust or rethread. I bought my Bernina 930 27 years ago, and have never looked back at another Brand. My daughters sewed on the 930 for 4-H and did not have the trauma and drama that I went through sewing on my mom's Singer. You want a stress free machine; save up your money and hunt for a used Bernina. (Not a Bernette)
I had a singer touch n sew from the 70s that was great until it wasn't. The nylon gears kept breaking and I sunk about 3 services into that thing (at about 60 bucks apiece) before I finally said no more. I wish I'd still kept it though since parts are valuable on the old machines. But I didn't. I have no idea what my husband did with it.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:25 AM

Years ago, I knew a guy who sold Berninas before they became so popular. I didn't have one, had a Kenmore that I loved. He took great pleasure in calling Singers 'Sinkers', and at the time I didn't understand why. Now I do.

Two years ago I bought a Singer while waiting for my ex to get my Bernina (the one i bought in 2000) to me (no, it wasn't a nice divorce), and I HATED it. It had 2 speeds, stop and runaway. I'm getting ready to sell it. Wish me luck.

Last edited by Tippysmom; 10-26-2014 at 10:27 AM.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tippysmom View Post
Years ago, I knew a guy who sold Berninas before they became so popular. I didn't have one, had a Kenmore that I loved. He took great pleasure in calling Singers 'Sinkers', and at the time I didn't understand why. Now I do.

Two years ago I bought a Singer while waiting for my ex to get my Bernina (the one i bought in 2000) to me (no, it wasn't a nice divorce), and I HATED it. It had 2 speeds, stop and runaway. I'm getting ready to sell it. Wish me luck.
I wonder if a different foot controller would help it.