Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
machine recomendations >

machine recomendations

machine recomendations

Old 10-24-2014, 04:33 AM
Power Poster

I looked in our search function above, and here are two links that might help you. There are other ones if you are so inclined to look up there.
Need recommendation for sewing machine
New machine recommendations please!

I like my Brother machines, and they are in your price range. I find I don't need any training to use them. You may have gotten a "dud" or there is something that is easy to fix. Good luck on your quest!!
Old 10-24-2014, 04:33 AM
Power Poster

Unfortunately, your budget doesn't have any ability to be able to find a good sewing machine unless you stumble onto an estate sale or a charity store but that is risky since you won't know the history of the machine. I would start pinching your pennies telling your family and friends you want to save up for a DSM. Save all the money you may receive from Xmas and birthdays for your DSM. Shop around and test out the new ones to see what brand works for you. In 1970, my Dad bought me a used Singer for my high school graduation. I saved for a couple of years to be able to buy my Bernina 1530. I have had it since I bought it at a quilt show new in the 90s.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:45 AM

i'm currently looking at the [h=1]SINGER 9960 Quantum Stylist[/h]i found it for around that same price as the brother cs6000i and i'm super excited!!!
Old 10-24-2014, 01:13 PM

Just be aware that Singer is not a very good name anymore. To be honest I'd buy a Brother over a Singer.

eta: just looked it up at amazon and that machine does have very good reviews. Maybe it'll work out for you then.

Last edited by gale; 10-24-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:14 PM

I would check the reviews on the Singer. My daughter-in-law had terrible time with an inexpensive Singer she bought at JoAnn's and I believe others have had too. Other than working on my daughter-in-law's to get it to sew properly I have not personally had experience with the newer Singers and I don't know what model hers was but it was in the price range you are talking about. I found a used machine for her that was a high end machine when new. It cost $200 and has been worth every penny.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ann31039 View Post
look for the older kenmores. they are all metal and solid. they sew very well, you can get those with "fancy" stitches built in or one with cams. very quiet compared to my inexpensive brother. strong motor. Can often be found in thrift stores for around 40 dollars. My mothers was bought new in 1973 and is still sewing strong. You don't need a new computerized fancy machine to do great work. The older machines do great and since they are all metal and don't have a computer, they rarely truly "break".
YES YES YES - and older European machines and 50 year old Singers. If 95% of what you sew is straight stitch get an old black sewing machine - then use your modern machine for the fancy junk or just go hire it out on the rare occasion you need something.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:05 AM

I bought the Singer 9960 Quantum Stylist Oct. 9th and took it back Oct. 14. The thread keeps shredding due to all the rough plastic parts on the machine. I had so many thread breaks and re-threading of the machine that I was ready to throw it out the window. I was only doing straight stitching, making pillowcases, I like to use reverse to lock my stitches in place. The reverse worked for a while then jammed everything time I tried to use it. I bought this to use on the RV, I figured the price was right, it's lighter than my Brother at home and it would make a good spare machine and I'd keep it on the RV. Boy, was I wrong, I now have an inexpensive Brother and it is wonderful.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:19 AM

Check out the Janomes. They are low end dollar wise and anyone I know that has one is happy. The other option is to check out the garage sales and thrift stores. I have found some good deals there myself. Or check with a dealer and see what 2nd hand machines they have to offer. Beware that the machines sold in walmart are not able to be repaired. Parts are not available. Advertise on craig's list and be sure to try out the machine before you buy. Take different types of fabric that you will be using and try sewing on the machine. Be sure to check out the oiling and cleaning routine. Good Luck.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by samanthe75 View Post
hello, newbie here. I have been looking for the perfect sewing machine for a couple of years now and my most recent failure has been the brother cs6000i sounded as if the needle was hitting something underneath after only 20 minutes of regular sewing. So I am looking for recommendations for a sewing/quilting machine with"cruise control" variable speed setting for around $150.
Many folks have that same Brother machine and have had no problems, whatsoever. It could be you got a lemon or there's something loose or misplaced in there. Could be something as simple as a bent needle (a needle can be bent rather easily and just the slightest bend, will prevent smooth sewing). Needles can be bent by sewing over/hitting pins, using an undersized needle for a heavier project, not letting the feed dogs control the speed at which the fabric move, etc., etc.

If you bought the machine new, you should definitely return it or contact Brother about the problems.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:09 PM

My vote goes to buying an old machine, especially with that budget.

Reason for my vote:
In the 80's I took my Singer in for repair and the guy told me I wore it out, too much plastic. So I remember saying to him, exactly, "You got anything that's metal, and with no computer?" (computerized machines were just coming onto the market and I knew that was more trouble that I wanted, I just wanted to sew!)
I had never heard of a Viking, just knew Singer from my mom's old trusty reliable.
I bought a Viking 630. With a little resarch, I found out that's the machine they sold to schools, back when schools still bought them, so I knew it was tough and could withstand some abuse (which it never saw with me)

About 10 years ago I got the idea of buying used 630's because I thought, they probably don't even make the parts anymore, so that way I'd have some. So I ended up with 4 machines off ebay, for under $100 each. I thought, if my machine breaks, I've got spare parts. Trouble is, they all work, as does my original!