Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine sewn binding... >

Machine sewn binding...

Machine sewn binding...

Old 03-14-2016, 10:29 AM

I always sew to the back, flip it to the front and do the stitch-stitch-zig stich to attach it. That way the not so good parts are on the back but the front looks good. I just hand sewed a binding for a quilt I put in a show. I decided I'm not doing that anymore!
Old 03-14-2016, 10:41 AM
Banned

I always machine sew my binding, no hand sewing for me. I sew it to the back of the quilt, then fold it over to the front and press. Then I use my zipper foot to sew it to the front. No glue, no pins. I hold it in place a few inches at a time and sew, stop and position a few more inches and sew, etc. The seam is always right against the edge of the binding on the back and looks good. I use a bobbin thread that matches the back of the quilt.

Cari
Old 03-14-2016, 11:09 AM

I've found the opening in my straight stitch foot on my Juki is perfect for machine sewing binding. I fold of the binding (don't press) and sew to the back, and then pull to the front and line up so it's just barely covering the stitching line. I line up the foot so the binding fold rides just along the inside of the opening in the foot, and it sews down with a nice even stitch. I've also been told I sew a smaller stitch, but I use what I use for just about everything so don't know about that.

Since I don't press, I don't get where the fabric wants to pull and crease or tuck, it just rolls to where it needs to be.

I am doing a project at work that will end up with about 120 6" blocks that are individually bound, so I'm getting a lot of practice with binding and corners.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:42 AM
Power Poster

I sew it to the back and pull it to the front. I generally use the Roxanne basting glue to stick it in place. Then I use a decorative stitch to attach it to the front. Does it always hit the line perfectly on the back? No - but I plan my thread color so it is the least obtrusive if there is a miss. Plus the decorative stitch makes it look like a planned feature.

When it matters where the seam lands, I first set my stitch length to 5 and do a basting stitch all the way around so I can make adjustments along the way.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:52 PM

I always make continuous bias binding and cut it 2 1/2". The bias binding is just a little more forgiving and easier to handle for me. I press it in half and sew it to the back of the quilt and then flip it to the front and machine stitch it in place (straight, zig zag or fancy). I don't even pin it as I go, just roll it over with my fingers and eye ball it (I'm pretty accurate!) Because it is wider than some quilters like (my buddy Connie cuts hers 2" which I can't handle) when I stitch it on the front it is a little wider than what's on the back and the stitches land on the back of the quilt and not on the back side of the binding. If I use matching thread, nobody even notices my stitches and no one has ever said "Oh no, she machine stitched her binding". I can bind a King Sized quilt in an hour if I have the binding made.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:40 PM
Power Poster

If I am in a rush or don't have enough fabric to do regular binding, I do the flange binding. I find it easy to do and your stitches normally don't show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcF_FIFeStY
Old 03-15-2016, 03:10 AM

I sew binding to the back first and then turn it over to the front of the quilt and machine stitch it down.
I make a lots of charity quilts.
Sharon
Old 03-15-2016, 04:17 AM

I used the flanged binding that Paper Princess referenced. I love that it gives an additional design element, and stitching in the ditch works out great. I always get positive comments when I enter them at the county and state fairs.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:20 AM

Due to carpal tunnel, I don't do any hand-sewing. If it can't be stitched by machine, it does not get done.

I sew binding to the back, flip to the front and stitch down with a decorative stitch on my machine....it adds another design element to the quilt. <3<3<3<3
A kingsize binding takes me 2 hours to sew.

Fast and easy!
Old 03-15-2016, 04:36 AM

I sew on the back and fold to the front, then use my stitch-in-the-ditich foot along the edge of the binding, and move the needle so the sewing line is exactly the same distance from the edge. Hope you can understand what I mean. It looks so neat. No need to use a zigzag or decorative stitch.