Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine sewn binding... >

Machine sewn binding...

Machine sewn binding...

Old 03-15-2016, 04:08 PM

What a great idea! This would be a perfect finish on my NICU quilts!
Old 03-15-2016, 06:21 PM

[QUOTE=bj;7493904]I prefer the method you use. However, when I have machine stitched binding, I sew it to the front then fold it to the back. I pin from the front, very close together, and make sure I have an even width on the back so that it will look straight when I'm finished sewing it down. I stitch in the ditch, slowly, using my walking foot, and remove pins just before I get to them. It turned out pretty nice, but still not my favorite method.

This is the way I do my binding for charity quilts. However, I use my zipper foot so I can get very close to the ditch.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:26 PM

[QUOTE=Jannie;7495349]
Originally Posted by bj View Post
I prefer the method you use. However, when I have machine stitched binding, I sew it to the front then fold it to the back. I pin from the front, very close together, and make sure I have an even width on the back so that it will look straight when I'm finished sewing it down. I stitch in the ditch, slowly, using my walking foot, and remove pins just before I get to them. It turned out pretty nice, but still not my favorite method.

This is the way I do my binding for charity quilts. However, I use my zipper foot so I can get very close to the ditch.
This is also the way I do binding but I will use Elmer's glue to hold the binding in place while stitching on the front. The zipper foot is great for getting close to the binding ditch.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:36 PM

It always looks terrible when I do it. I think the key is to really take your time when clipping or pinning and maybe to use a glue stick to hold it in place. Also, check it often. I'd love to have perfect results, also - it's so much faster.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jennifer23 View Post
Doing it the way you're trying, I find that gluing the binding to the back before stitching keeps it nicer looking. It takes practice to be able to get that back stitch line to not look awful.

I know a few people that do like Emmy Sue does - sew it to the back, then fold to the front and stitch with a zigzag or decorative stitch. I've tried it, and I like it; it's a chance to use all my machine's fancy stitches that I never use otherwise.

My favourite way, as long as it works with the design of the quilt, is to do a flange binding. MSQC has a video on this now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAQWwwAa2K0
some of the ladies I know do it this way because they have difficulty hand sewing. They use decorative stitches which cover the back edge.
Personally I sew on the front and hand stitch.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:28 AM

i will be using that flange binding tutorial on my next quilt. thank you for posting the links.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:13 AM
Z

Go to Binding the Angel on you tube for a three part tutorial by Sharon Schamber on machine binding with Elmer's Glue.
It works great and I use it exclutsively with great results.

I use the regular tip on the glue bottle instead of buying the special tip. Open the cap only far enough to let a fine stream come out.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:31 AM

I sew binding on by machine from time to time. I sew the raw edges of the carefully pressed double binding on the back of the quilt. Be sure that the quilt has been squared up. Then I press it from the back side using steam to be sure it is flat against the stitching. I sew the fold of the binding on the front being sure it just barely covers the first stitching. The mitered corners turn very nicely. Sometime I use a flange but not always. I do match my bobbin thread to the back. I am happy with the way it looks and sometimes speed it important.
Old 03-16-2016, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by willferg View Post
I am always on the lookout for alternative methods of attaching binding. I do think hand sewn on back looks the best, but I too loathe taking the time to do that. I've come up with what I call my raggedy binding using flannel, which is on my blog, and I've also found this approach, which I haven't tried yet:

https://ukcitycrafter.wordpress.com/...sible-binding/
I hope you don't mind Willferg, but I was interested in your raggedy flannel binding and hunted it down. Here is the link to the specific post and tutorial on her blog. It looks so soft and cuddly! I'll definitely be trying this out.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog...f-my-existence
Old 03-16-2016, 05:45 AM

I don't have arthritis, but found this is my preferred method.
For me it's just the easiest way to get a nice finish with a machine binding. The ironing is enough to hold it in place so it stitches up nicely. I actually have never done any hand bindings. :$

Originally Posted by AliKat View Post
I sew it t, then iron it out flat & fold it over, and iron again so it is on the front of the quilt.Then I use fancy stitches and sew the binding on.
I iron so many times as it is easier for my hands. For those who don't have arthritis folding should be enough.
Yes, I have used a little glue to also hold the binding in place.