Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which machine would you suggest? >

Which machine would you suggest?

Which machine would you suggest?

Old 01-18-2017, 06:14 AM

Just remember that unless you have another machine while your embroidering you can't do anything else!
Old 01-18-2017, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Ariannaquilts View Post
Just remember that unless you have another machine while your embroidering you can't do anything else!
..... and from what I have heard, some of the embroidery designs, can take a long time to punch out.

While I know you can walk away and let it do its own thing,
I am sure I would want to be there in close range, just in case!
Old 01-18-2017, 09:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
I use a combo brother and it is super easy to change settings, not much involved, don't even have to remove my unit. I love my combo. don't have room for 2 machines, also it ends up being more expensive. I to this day never understand the need for 2 machines
You don't understand the need for 2 machines and yet you have three. I have many machines and switch out depending on the job at hand. A few are just cute to display(toys). I like looking at my machines and even more, I enjoy using them.

Cari
Old 01-18-2017, 06:21 PM

There are some good suggestions here. So, for what it's worth, here's my 2 cents (and we all know you can't buy ANYTHING with that anymore!)

First of all, I would definitely check with your local dealer for trade-ins!!! That's what I did with my machine, a Viking Designer 1. Some one else traded her in for a newer machine. Mine is so old, it uses FLOPPY DISKS, but I have software that will convert any program out there (more about this in a minute...) I've had my "Vicki" for 10+ years now, and she's been a workhorse. I have no idea how many quilts I've pieced and quilted on her.

I never really thought I'd get into the embroidery that much, but I have. Not as much as quilting, but still, there are a lot of designs that "piece and quilt in the hoop". As others have mentioned, there are a ton of embroidery sites to download designs, as well as the more common (and often more expensive) commercially produced designs. Both have their pro's and con's, and both have the potential to have both beautiful and ugly designs. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, after all.

One thing I would REALLY recommend that you NOT do... don't skimp on hoop size. If you're given a choice of two different machines and there's only $50 or so difference between one machine that has 6x6 as the largest hoop or another machine that has 8x8 or larger as the largest, bite the bullet and get the one with the bigger capacity. If you DO get bitten by the embroidery bug, you'll be much happier, trust me. And usually bigger hoop capacity means more throat space, and that's always a winner for us quilters.

The embroidery software I use is "Embird". It can "talk" pretty much every version of embroidery format there is, AND convert it to whatever you need. And it will "talk" just fine to my "Vicki", even creating the floppy disk in the special divided folders it needs. Just Google it - it's a download. The people who own it are great!! My hard drive crashed, and after I rebuilt it, I just emailed them and told them what happened, and they sent me the link to re-download again. Very user-friendly software, and very inexpensive, in comparison to most of the "Manufacturer dedicated" software.

The few real drawbacks to the combo machines are:

(1) you have to change the thread color manually. This can be both frustrating and time-consuming. One day, I'd love to get a multi-needle machine.

(2) chances are, you will NOT be able to do ball caps. Some of the newest machines have that capability now, but for the additional cost, you'd be better off getting a multi-needle with the cap set-up

(3) if you're thinking of using it for a "embroidery business", don't bother. The combo-machines (single needle) are too slow for you to keep pace with the "big boys".

Again, this is just my opinion based on personal experience.
Good luck with your search!!
Old 01-19-2017, 03:13 AM

I vote for any of the Baby Lock machines...SUPER user friendly. great features, and I believe the best bang for your buck, if you have a good local dealer........I have found that service after the sale is as important, if not more so, than the machine itself.......
Old 01-19-2017, 04:31 AM

Brother makes a good machine, and get one that has at least a 5x7 hoop and buy locally if you can. When you buy from local shop you have someone who can help you and probably have free lessons. Sometimes it is better to pay a little more and have a good source of help and back up. I think another good machine would be Elna or Janome, I have both. I also have and love Husqvarna.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:52 AM

My DH wanted to give me an embroidery machine for Christmas. He did a lot of research on the internet and I did some. I have a Bernina 930 and two FW's for my regular sewing. I posted a thread on this board asking for insight from all of the knowledgeable folks here and many gave me lots of information and suggestions- most suggesting that I get the machine with the largest hoop possible, Many suggesting the Brother PE770. I thought I wanted the Brother Innov-Is NQ1400E- went to the nearest dealer to check them out- 100miles away. The lady was very knowledgeable and kindly spent a great deal of time providing information and demonstrating this model. The cost was quit expensive more than $2000.00 and the longer we were there in the quilt shop, the or nervous I became, which is highly unusual for me. I just could not bring myself to committing to this machine. We went to lunch an I just cold not go back and get this machine so I told DH, I wasn't getting the machine. When we came home, the next day he printed out the info. on the Brother PE770 with the grand slam pkg. 64 spools of thread, 140 pre wound bobbins and also the Elipse pkg. that is available for this machine with 4 more hoops and lots of extra things. The total price was $948.00, free shipping and no tax, which was a lot less than the other machine with many any more things included than the high priced machine. My new toy arrived day before yesterday. I haven' t started playing with it yet because I am still reading the instructions but hope to this week end, since I have never owned an emb machine but I'm really anxious t get started. If you want more info on this one- where I ordered it- pm me and I will let you know, because I'm no sure giving the name of the place we purchased it from is allowed on this board- it is a reputable business, but I might be advertising. Thanks to all who gave me help on my purchase.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:52 AM

I have a Babylock Sofia that also does embroidery and I really like it. I paid $700 for it but have seen it on sale for a$499. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles that my Babylock Ellegante has, but it's a great little machine. Easier to take to classes and retreats as it is small and light weight.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:56 AM

I have 2 machines, Brother 270D (use as backup & don't use embroidery 'cause DGKs are no longer small) & Memory Craft 4000. Use the Memory Craft all the time-it has lots of decorative stitches. The Brother has auto thread cutter, which I could get used to very quickly. Another Brother (some day) would be wonderful!
Old 01-19-2017, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
..... and from what I have heard, some of the embroidery designs, can take a long time to punch out.

While I know you can walk away and let it do its own thing,
I am sure I would want to be there in close range, just in case!
QuiltE is absolutely right. Some designs can take an hour or more to do. Yes, the machine does the work BUT I wouldn't want to be too far away from it, IN CASE. I own a Husqvarna Viking Designer Epic machine which does about everything except pay the bills. The screen is large (equivalent to an iPad) & there is a function that will send a message to your tablet that messages you to change the thread & when the design is finished. Awesome, if you, like me, live in a 2 storey house & I am downstairs & my machine is upstairs. VERY pricey here in Canada though.
This will definitely be my last machine so my hubby decided, why not !! Gotta love him.