Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Backup/RV machine - which Janome do you suggest?

mkc

Backup/RV machine - which Janome do you suggest?

Background info - I got into quilting this past winter when I bought my Horizon 7700 (which I adore!) We are RVers so I'm looking for a machine to travel with. I'm looking for something for quilting and crafty projects (like the Sew4Home projects). I think I prefer a hard case. Not sure if I need an extension table or not.

The cast of characters are the 3160QDC, the 4120QDC, and the 6600MCP (if I were to find that one as a gently-used trade in). The first 2 have the hard case and are at a better price point, but I could use my Accufeed feet with the 6600.

Thoughts? Enabling?

Michelle

We RV also, and I have the 6600. I find it too heavy and big to take with us. My mom has the platinum and I borrow it sometimes. It's much lighter & smaller. The only thing I worry about is using the same machine to complete a quilt and we're not usually gone long enough for that.

When taking a course in Shipshewana last year oma... I was told by a big name teacher that there was no need to use the same machine through out a project as a proper " was a " on whichever machine you used. I still prefer to use the one machine but.... it does make sense.

Blog Entries
    I take a FW to use in our RV. With the different humidities,temperatures,jostling around,I'd druther not risk the electronic problems.
    Life may not be the party we planned for,but while we are here we should dance!

Janome Jem Silver or a Feahter weight. You can do everythibg on the Janome silver including the quilting. the Feather Weight is only good for piecing but it is a fun little machine. If i take one it is usually the Feather Weight. I toss it in a card board box with a quilt around it so it travels in style.
    Anna Quilts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by francie yuhas View Post
    I take a FW to use in our RV. With the different humidities,temperatures,jostling around,I'd druther not risk the electronic problems.
    this is a good consideration
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Compare the features to your 7700 and determine what ones you absolutely must have, or you don't care if you do. What type of sewing will you be doing when in your RV, may help you determine what features are necessary. Consider where you will store it in between usage ... and where you will set it up.

Go to your dealer and sew on the machines you are considering and see how they feel to you.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Don't get the 6600. Much too heavy. I have the Janome Platinum 720. You can get the 760 which is more expensive but has a lot more stitches. I know your 7700 must have lots of needle positions. You can adjust that to the width of the 720 if it's a little off and go back and forth between both machines.

I would go with the 3160. It has a lot of the same features as a 6600 but not so heavy. I love mine and find it perfect for taking to retreats and classes.
    Peace

mem
    Sorry, I don't know any of those machines. I've been dragging a Janome AQS 2009 (which is a Platinum 720 with a different name) around the country in our fifth wheel for the last year and a half. It's done everything quilty that I've needed it to do, but being a 3/4 machine, I don't think I'd want to use it to quilt a full-size quilt. Have quilted lots of lap quilts, though, and even a couple of twin-size. It has a hard cover which slips over the machine, and then it goes into a wheeled bag I got a Joann's. Easy to set up in the trailer or to haul to classes or quilt guild meetings when we are on the road. Originally I was sewing on a portable table I got at Target, but last fall I bought a SewEzi table for it. What a difference to be able to sew and quilt on a flat surface at the correct height! Whatever machine you get, I'd recommend the SewEzi with the proper insert for your machine. You can also get an insert for your home machine, so you can use the table with it also.

Happy sewing on the road .

Check out the DC2013 janome on Amazon. Hard case and a 1/4 inch foot for 499. I have my eye on it.

I also have the horizon, and am happy with the Gem Platinum for taking along camping or to quilt classes. It is a great machine with alot to offer and doesn't weigh much.

I have the 6600 at home and take a janome 720 in the 5th wheel and to quilting events. The 720 is lightweight and has all the main features I use on the 6600 with the exception of the thread cutter. I piece quilts on both and do a lot of fmq on the 6600. Both machines work great and the bobbins and feet are interchangeable.

Why can't the 6600 go into an RV?

I have a 3160 QDC and LOVE it - It is my workhorse. my backup machine is the Elna my parents gave me at HS grad in 1966. if you could start quilting on a 6600 why not just buy the top of the line Pfaff with all the embroidery bells and whistles and be done with it> Sheesh! Leave the 6600 at home LOL
    SueSew
    "If it's messy, eat it over the sink!" Mom

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mkc View Post
    Background info - I got into quilting this past winter when I bought my Horizon 7700 (which I adore!) We are RVers so I'm looking for a machine to travel with. I'm looking for something for quilting and crafty projects (like the Sew4Home projects). I think I prefer a hard case. Not sure if I need an extension table or not.

The cast of characters are the 3160QDC, the 4120QDC, and the 6600MCP (if I were to find that one as a gently-used trade in). The first 2 have the hard case and are at a better price point, but I could use my Accufeed feet with the 6600.

Thoughts? Enabling?

Michelle
    Get what ever machine you like. I RV from Canada to AZ. every year (6years). I store my computerized machine in a 4 inch deep box under the bed (my sewing room). No cover I use some of that shelf liner. I make sure the foot & needle are down. That's all I do & no problems yet. Oh my machine is about27 lbs.
    True4uca

mkc
    Thanks for the thoughts, everyone. We're on the road and I've brought my old Elna Diva along, thinking I'll either have it serviced and make it my RV machine or trade it towards a newer machine.

I'd considered the Jem series, but I found I don't want a 3/4 machine and I do want a 7mm stitch width. I'm also wanting to sew heavier things like totes, outdoor tablecloths, etc. which is why the 6600 got added to the mix (love the Accufeed on my 7700).

Michelle

Blog Entries
    I use the 3160 for my travel machine. Love it.
    Quilting in the Desert

I know what you mean about the "accufeed", I pretty much use it for everything from piecing to straight line quilting and bindings. I would be hard pressed to do without it for very long!

I take my FW in the RV and to classes for piecing due to the ease of travel. When we first started Rving I took my Bernina 730 and when we traveled I stored it in the shower along with my large bag of fabrics and the projects I was working on. One day after traveling I went in to take a shower and noticed everything was soaking wet. All my fabrics--everything. My husband had decided we didn't need to empty the gray water tank that morning----WRONG and it backed up into the shower. Luckily that day I had stored my Bernina next to the bed instead of the shower. Since that trip I have not taken my Bernina, only my FW. I can store it under the dining table and it is much smaller and lighter to carry. I typically have great plans to work on projects, but usually end up doing straight piecing or hand applique, so my FW works fine for me. I would never take a chance on damaging my Bernina again.
    Sherry

I recently got the Pfaff Passport 2.0 to take to classes and it will also be my travel machine as well. I was originally hauling my Juki F600 to class, while I loved it, it was way too big and bulky. I do have a Featherweight, but I wanted something that did more than just straight stitch. The Pfaff Passport works out perfectly for me. It's a 3/4 size machine and also has built in IDT (Accufeed or walking foot). It weighs about 13 lbs and has 70 stitches, adjustable needle position, needle up/down, start/stop button, threader, 7mm stitch plate, adjustable presser foot pressure, and hard cover. There's also an optional extension table that can be purchased to use with the machine. Those are just the things off the top of my head. It doesn't have automatic thread cutter, but that's fine with me. I don't expect a compact machine to have ALL the bells and whistles, otherwise, it won't be as light and portable anymore.

I take a Brother Embroidery/sewing combo, 1250D with me on the 5th wheel. I store it under the bed with my supplies. We have a dehumidifier and air conditioning so I don't worry about humidity or high temps. If I don't plan on embroidering I take my FW. I leave the big fancy heavy machines at home.

I have the 3160 QDC and find it sews nearly identical to my 7700. I did purchase a straight stitch plate and can still smidge the needle over to 4.0 to get a scant stitch. I also bought a walking foot for it and attached a binding on Saturday while out sewing with it - no problems. I am intrigued by the Pfaff Passport... I had an old Pfaff that died and to this day I still miss the IDT. I just wish the Passport had a automatic thread cutter button...I do like that on my 3160.
    - Rose