Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machines-New or Old? >

Machines-New or Old?

Machines-New or Old?

Old 01-13-2012, 08:49 AM

Default Machines-New or Old?

I have a Singer Futura CE-150 that I am totally disappointed with. I am using it but I so miss my old Kenmore that had the cams. I enjoy decorative stitches and the CE-150 only has a few, although it is an embroidery machine. I also have 2 Singer 301's, a long bed and a short bed and a serger. I've been looking for an old Kenmore and I find that I will probably need to pay $100-$150 to get what I want. Last night I saw a Brother SQ-9050 at WalMart for $199 and then today I was looking at other Brothers like the SE400 and the PC420PRW.

Finally, here is my question... do you think I should pay $100-$150 for a Kenmore metal geared machine with the cams or purchase new with a warranty and more decorative stitches for $199-$350. Also, yesterday someone gave me a Singer FashionMate 368 for free but it doesn't have the power/foot control or cams or feet. After looking on the internet I think I would pay about $100 to get this fixed up and I still wouldn't have many stitches as this machine didn't originally come with a lot of cams.

What would you say would be the soundest decision here? I am starting to look like a sewing machine sales department and BF is getting a little antsy about it...LOL
Old 01-13-2012, 09:09 AM

to get a really great new machine that does a lot -costs a lot.I love the older machines also.I have a Singer 501 with cams-great machine -I do not use it often but love the older all metal machines.I have a small collection now also.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:48 AM

If I had a $150 to spend, I'd buy a vintage machine. Typically all metal and will last another 150 years if maintained well. There are plenty of machines that have either cams or built in stitches that you can get in the cabinet for $20-$150 via Craigs List.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:54 AM

I would go for old with metal gears / cams I have them and they always seem to sew forever.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:09 AM

My Mom has an old Kenmore with a ton of cams. I think the older machine would last longer and you probably would be happier with it especially since you can service most issues yourself.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:57 AM

I just came back from a Brother dealership. Of course he was bashing the machines you can get over the internet or mass retailers, but...he showed me a plastic piece that holds the bobbin case in the cheaper machines and showed me a little piece that breaks off frequently. He then showed me a metal part (same part) in the higher end machines and it was so much more substantial. He then demonstrated how the cheaper machines can bend and twist when you hit something that would stop your machine, the higher end machines didn't bend. So, I'm thinking maybe I should wait (as frustrating as it is)to find the Kenmore with the cams or a Singer 401. They just have such cute decorative stitches in the newer machines now but I can't justify $600-$800 for cuteness (maybe $200-$400) and I don't trust the Wal-Mart or internet machines after seeing that plastic part! Such a decision!
Old 01-13-2012, 11:08 AM

However frustrating it is to sew with a machine that doesn't have what you want/need, please don't waste good money on a bad machine. Sewing machines are the one thing where you get what you pay for. The cheap ones at Walmart (I know this from personal experience) will not last for the average quilter. They aren't built for the kind of constant sewing that we put them through. The plastic parts will not last. The older machines with metal parts are great for basic piecing or even fmq. The newer, heavy duty machines like Janome and Bernina cost more, but they will do what you want and will last so much longer. I was saving my dollars for a better machine when my brother died a very painful death right in the middle of a quilt. I had to ask DH for his help in the purchase of a different machine. I ended up with a used Janome 6600 and haven't regretted the expense. The machine is amazing.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:59 AM

If you look on ebay or Craigslist I bet you can find what you want for your price range Good luck! My mom got her Viking off of Craigslist at a great price!
Old 01-13-2012, 12:15 PM

I've had a couple of $130ish Brothers from Walmart. 1st one didn't get used often and lasted probably 10 years. The 2nd was used a lot for about 2 years, then I bought a vintage singer and kept the brother just for the zigzags and decorative stitches. I think it resented being replaced because about 6 months later it got stuck in the naughty corner and never made it's way out. I've finally moved on up to a "nice" machine. I bought a pfaff. Do I like it better than the brother? well I sure hope so at 10x the cost. Would I hesitate to buy another cheap brother? Nope. But, I would buy it with the expectation that it isn't going to last as long as my high dollar machine, which will last no where near as long as my vintage machines.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:59 PM

I have the Futura CE200...it's a good machine but I only use it for embroidery. I HAVE sewn on it before, but that's not the primary reason it lives here. I have several machines, the most "favored" ones right now are my Bernina 1008, my Viking Platinum 770 and my Janome 6600...all troopers, and each has something I don't care for in it's make-up. Oh well...if one won't do something I want to do, I just move on to another. I also have several vintages machines including a FW...and, for the life of me, I can't find anything wrong with them! So good luck in your hunt!