Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Made the wrong fabric choice

Blog Entries

Made the wrong fabric choice

I debated and debated yesterday at the fabric store about two of my fabrics for a quilt I am working on, I didn't feel confident with the choice I made but bought the fabric anyway. I brought it home and started piecing my quilt and was really unhappy with the choices I made. I've decided to scrap those two fabrics before I do more work with the quilt. I've found better fabric choices on www.fabric.com. It is just so frustrating to buy the wrong fabric and to have to rebuy essentially.
    Yael

Look on the bright side: You are just adding it to your stash. Someday it will be the right fabric for that special project.

Another bright side: all the online fabric stores have great discounts at the moment - if you have to rebuy this is a pretty good time to do it!

Alison

We've all done that. It's smart to change your mind about fabric EARLY in the project. Otherwise the quilt will never get done.

I know exactly what you mean!!! I will try to stay local where I can buy 1/2 yd time and make a practice block. Although, I do have enough material for my next quilt....sigh.....
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

Power Poster
    Don't blame yourself, sometimes different lighting can really change the fabric colour. As others have said, just add it to your stash for another project.

Good for you for realizing it wasn't working instead of sewing away. :-)

It happens to me all the time. More than once I have asked to take the fabric to a window or outside so I can see what it looks like in the sunlight. Usually the shop is okay with it - but once in a while some one will tell me they have the natural light and it won't change, but it does. My GFG has one set of flowers that look okay - but in the store the fabrics looked like a better match. No one really knows it but me - but frustrating just the same.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KarenR View Post
    Look on the bright side: You are just adding it to your stash. Someday it will be the right fabric for that special project.
    I love this reply, it's so true. lol
    Veronica

Blog Entries
    This is also why it is strongly suggested that you make a sample block before cutting all the fabric. What looks great on a bolt might not look so wonderful in a block. Don't feel frustrated, this is all part of the quilting process!
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast