Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Made the wrong fabric choice >

Made the wrong fabric choice

Made the wrong fabric choice

Old 12-27-2012, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04 View Post
Well, like someone says, you learn more from your mistakes than when it all goes right. Now, at least, you have more information on what works and what doesn't for your next quilt fabric choices. And more fabric for your stash. I guarantee that you will find a project where the fabric you decided not to use will be perfect!
I've definitely learned from all of my mistakes. Every time I am quilting I'm learning more and more how to do things. .
Old 12-27-2012, 09:04 AM

I've bought fabrics that I thought would be a good border (or two) then don't like them after the blocks are done so often those fabrics end up on my back. It kills me to go buy 7 or 8 yards for a back so by using the "border" fabrics, it doesn't seem like as much fabric all together to get the back done.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:20 AM

I'm sure this happens a lot. I haven't been quilting that long and have already done it. I bought Christmas remnants only because they were very inexpensive. Should have passed. I'm not really a Christmas person and the result looks like someone threw up in Christmas colors. I hate it. The four finished blocks and the rest of it are just sitting there until I figure out what to do with it.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:17 AM
RDM

I sympathize as I've done that. You did right to make your quilt what you want it to be by purchasing additional fabrics, rather than have a quilt you'd never be happy with. Add the wrong fabrics to your stash as one day they'll be perfect in another quilt.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:13 PM

Making a quilt for my Niece's wedding. I specially ordered a fabric I thought would be perfect for the sashing. Laid it out on my design board, not quite what I thought, but I knew it would look better once sewn(and I'd spent quite a bit on it, so I knew it would eventually look good), began sashing between blocks. Still not too happy, but I knew it would look better when I got the horizontal parts on (and I'd spent quite a bit on it, so I knew it would eventually look good). Put in the horizontals and it still was not what I hoped, but I figured it would look better when I got the first border on it (and I'd spend quite a bit on it, so I knew it would eventually look good). You know the rest. I ended up taking the whole thing apart and replacing it - with something that did look really nice. Now I have lots of little strips of relatively expensive fabric because I wouldn't face reality in the first place. String quilt someday I hope.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:30 PM

Wink

Originally Posted by yweinst View Post
I debated and debated yesterday at the fabric store about two of my fabrics for a quilt I am working on, I didn't feel confident with the choice I made but bought the fabric anyway. I brought it home and started piecing my quilt and was really unhappy with the choices I made. I've decided to scrap those two fabrics before I do more work with the quilt. I've found better fabric choices on www.fabric.com. It is just so frustrating to buy the wrong fabric and to have to rebuy essentially.
Yael
I love fabric.com. Get so much fabric from there. Prices are great and they have a pretty good selection.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:01 PM

I had that happen way back when I first started quilting. I went into my LQS looking for specific colors that they didn't have in stock. I had a picture of a quilt that I had fallen in love with, and wanted to reproduce it as closely as possible. Well, the employee there insisted I could use other colors and fabrics and it would look the same - NOT! I HATED the fabrics she cut for me, and putting them in that quilt did not make me like them any better. I ended up wadding the whole thing up and throwing it in the garbage. Now I know better - if they don't have fabrics I want, I walk away. Find it elsewhere or wait a couple of months for new fabrics to come in.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:37 PM

Would the fabric work for the backing? I really like pieced backs and if the color or print is not just right it could still look great on the back side.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by clements View Post
Would the fabric work for the backing? I really like pieced backs and if the color or print is not just right it could still look great on the back side.
I don't think it will work for the back. I do have a nice fabric that will though.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:58 PM

The trick to using a not-quite-right fabric is to add more fabrics. This obviously works better in a scrap quilt than a planned quilt.

My experience with fabric.com isn't the best. First, they say they have something (on their site) and then later, after I have ordered and paid, they say they don't. I've had that happen probably 10 times and seldom shop there anymore. If I planned on it for a particular quilt,I am out of luck. Second, the fabrics I've received don't look like they do on my monitor - and I check it on several monitors before I order. I've got two bolts downstairs right now that meet that description and no idea of when I'll ever use them for for what I'll use them. They sure don't work with the project for which I bought them!

I hope you have better luck with them.