Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
magic stack n whack? >

magic stack n whack?

magic stack n whack?

Old 02-18-2016, 04:34 AM

Lots of fun to do! It is challenging but well worth the effort.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:27 AM

Another option is to start with just doing 4 layers and cut squares and putting them together. I have the pattern called 4-Patch Stacked Posies. It is the same idea but much easier. I have made 4 of them so far. I really like the way they look. It might be an easier way to learn how to stack the layers without having to invest so much $ on material
Old 02-18-2016, 05:53 AM

I like SnW better than OBW, personally. Altho the lining up and cutting are basically the same...the construction is so much easier. When I first did it, I really had to read the "how to " part several times---out loud, helped, believe it or not! And as I was lining up the layers, I read a paragraph, did it, read, etc. then suddenly the light came on and it all made sense, then the magic of sewing it together was fun!!!!!!!
Old 02-18-2016, 06:47 AM

One of the very first quilts that I made was a stack n whack. It was not all that difficult. If you prefer you could make the 4 patch stack n whack to start with. I have made many of them and find them more fun to make (and a bit easier). Here is a page with a bunch of photos of the 4 patch option.

https://www.pinterest.com/akcaro/4-p...-whack-quilts/
Old 02-18-2016, 06:52 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]542950[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]542951[/ATTACH] Here are a couple of photos of the one I made.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg  
Old 02-18-2016, 08:02 AM
Power Poster

I bought the book when it first came out and never finished the quilt.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:35 AM

The biggest trick I learned with Stack and Whack is to cut the fabric in half LENGTHWISE and use only one half to match the design. You have a much easier time of matching that way. I was taught that in the class I took and later when I taught the class, that is what I taught. It is so much easier to match the design with the narrower fabric. Then you can cut the borders lengthwise for the finished look.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:36 AM

I've made a couple of these now and for me the worst part is pressing all the seams open. I hate pressing seams open, but if I don't I get such a knot at the center it's tough to sew and worse to quilt.

Other than that, I find it to be a pretty forgiving pattern and not as difficult as it looks. If you're slightly off it's not really noticeable - there's so much movement and activity in these quilts that any little boo-boos are camouflaged!
Old 02-18-2016, 09:51 AM
Power Poster

I made several OBW's and didn't find the fabric-stacking to be that hard. If it's off by just a little it won't be noticeable in the finished product. It's recommended that you not wash your fabric first. I am a pre-washer, but when I buy fabric that I think I will use in a S&W or OBW I make sure not to wash it. I am sure you will have no problems. Be sure to post your finished quilt.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:14 AM

Thanks for the tips. I have this on my bucket list.