Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
magic stack n whack? >

magic stack n whack?

magic stack n whack?

Old 02-22-2016, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by girlygirlforme View Post
I am new to Stack and Whack, but how do you know how much material to buy? Say if you were making a queen size quilt and repeat is 12".
the he book tells how much fab to purchase for whatever size...
Old 02-22-2016, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by yngldy View Post
I'm surprised with posts touting the wonders of Elmers; Why are you not using glue sticks?? Just a light tack down the center of the pattern repeat works well. The only time you need the pins are to position the fabric pattern, swipe the center, position next pattern, swipe, etc. on down the strip. Practice on scrap to determine how much pressure to apply glue so that it is quick to release.
why would one want all that glue residue on the fabric? Sorry but pinning it is not big deal and the pins stay where you put them. If one is gluing 6/8layers of fabric, it would seem to me that that glue could not hold all securely as one is stripping, cutting triangles out of those layers. But, if you've done it that way and it worked for you, fine...but I've used and will continue to use pins when doing that pattern...JMHOJMHO
Old 02-22-2016, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by quiltlady1941 View Post
Thanks everyone, I am excited to try my hand at making one soon.. I just bought the book because it looked so interesting and I have seen some beautiful quilt here..I haven't bought any fabric yet but that will be next.. i have a few easter table runners to get done first.

Dakato Rose this book does not have the butterfly pattern in it, the book I bought is Magic Stack n Whack by Bethany S Reynolds it has a black cover with some blocks on the front, hope this helps.

Thanks everyone..
Thanks. I am looking for the book that has the butterfly in it. Will just have to find them and look for it.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by yngldy View Post
I'm surprised with posts touting the wonders of Elmers; Why are you not using glue sticks??
I don't like glue sticks because they drag on the fabric too much for my taste. If it's a bias cut, it can distort the block. If it's a straight cut, it often drags threads off of the edge that I then have to clean off. Elmers, I just make a dot. No tugging, no threads.

I can't use glue for a S&W, though, because I press every seam open. So, pins it is.