Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
magic stack n whack? >

magic stack n whack?

magic stack n whack?

Old 02-19-2016, 04:48 AM

Beware! These are addicting. Fun to see what new design will be there when you unfold the block. Then you've got to figure out how to put them together!! You may end up with a very big quilt.
Old 02-19-2016, 05:26 AM

I have made two stack and back quilts over the years. Cutting them was not a problem. The problem seems to be in the sewing and getting the blocks all the same size. The second quilt after trying to get them to square up I took all the blocks apart made a paper piece pattern, reduced the size an inch and put it together that way. I love the quilt but I will not do another quilt that way. Perhaps I am too much of a perfectionist.
Old 02-19-2016, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Fastpedal View Post
I have made two stack and back quilts over the years. Cutting them was not a problem. The problem seems to be in the sewing and getting the blocks all the same size. The second quilt after trying to get them to square up I took all the blocks apart made a paper piece pattern, reduced the size an inch and put it together that way. I love the quilt but I will not do another quilt that way. Perhaps I am too much of a perfectionist.

Your blocks should have squared up with the piecing....your seams must not have been consistently the same size....and I can see how pp would make one keep the seams the same..just staying on those sew lines keeps the control. Shame you had to do it "twice"
Old 02-19-2016, 06:22 AM

I am new to Stack and Whack, but how do you know how much material to buy? Say if you were making a queen size quilt and repeat is 12".
Old 02-19-2016, 06:43 AM

I've probably made 20 of the Stack and Whack (triangles and rectangles)...I found that the easiest way to get fabric to match was to use heavy thread (button/carpet)...and run your needle down through all 8 layers, and knot tightly....a little more time...but means your fabrics don't slip when you arotary cut them...If you follow the directions...IMO it's not hard...taught a couple of classes on how to make one...and had very novice as well as experienced ladies...and all were able to get a good portion of their blocks together in the class... They are fun...and can become addictive!!
Old 02-19-2016, 08:04 AM

Which book of Bethany's do you have and does it have the butterfly pattern in it? That is the pattern I am looking for and don't know which book it is in. Thanks. I'll keep checking back.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by pmonaghen View Post
I've probably made 20 of the Stack and Whack (triangles and rectangles)...I found that the easiest way to get fabric to match was to use heavy thread (button/carpet)...and run your needle down through all 8 layers, and knot tightly....a little more time...but means your fabrics don't slip when you arotary cut them...If you follow the directions...IMO it's not hard...taught a couple of classes on how to make one...and had very novice as well as experienced ladies...and all were able to get a good portion of their blocks together in the class... They are fun...and can become addictive!!
I also used thread to layer the repeats. The pins seemed to distort the fabric slightly.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:27 PM

I'm surprised with posts touting the wonders of Elmers; Why are you not using glue sticks?? Just a light tack down the center of the pattern repeat works well. The only time you need the pins are to position the fabric pattern, swipe the center, position next pattern, swipe, etc. on down the strip. Practice on scrap to determine how much pressure to apply glue so that it is quick to release.
Old 02-21-2016, 05:27 PM

Check her out on u-tube. She has a video with Kaye Wood that is great. I watched it a few times and have made 2 quilts. After you see her do her thing on getting the fabric layers ready to cut, things will be more clear. Good luck.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:15 PM

Thanks everyone, I am excited to try my hand at making one soon.. I just bought the book because it looked so interesting and I have seen some beautiful quilt here..I haven't bought any fabric yet but that will be next.. i have a few easter table runners to get done first.

Dakato Rose this book does not have the butterfly pattern in it, the book I bought is Magic Stack n Whack by Bethany S Reynolds it has a black cover with some blocks on the front, hope this helps.

Thanks everyone..