Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mailing a quilt >

Mailing a quilt

Mailing a quilt

Old 05-06-2014, 06:34 PM

Default Mailing a quilt

What do you suggest as far as the most economical and safest way to mail a quilt. I'm on the west coast and sending 2 quilts to the east coast for a niece and nephew.

A friend of mine just Fed-exed a quilt top to be long armed and Fed-ex delivered it to the wrong house. The wrong house is now vacant - no more quilt. That is all I know, but I don't want that to happen to me. Thanks for suggestions.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:59 PM

Send the quilt registered mail as a signature is required for pick up! If no one is home then a postcard with next delivery date and time is placed in mail box for the recipient if the recipient is not there then a postcard states to pick up at post office.
So sad that you quilt was lost at delivery.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:09 PM

I have sent quilts via USPS with no problem. I have even sent them to Europe and Asia. But I never said a quilt was in the box. Trying to remember what I called it, but did not say it was a quilt. I think I just said blanket.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:57 PM

Your friend suffered the biggest failure of any reasonably good system - the human failure. Delivery person dropped the package at the wrong house. Unfortunately, it happens.

When I mail a quilt, I use the USPS, and insure them for the cost of materials - usually about $100 when you add in fabric, batting, thread and backing. So far, all of the quilts I've mailed have reached their intended recipient.

There are several things that I do to help insure that a package gets to it's intended destination:

1) Write the "TO: address " large on the box label. The easier it is to read, the more likely that it will be delivered to the right person. I always tape over it with clear tape so that rain or snow can't wash it away.

2) Tape another label iin a very visible spot nside the box. That way, if the box comes open or the label falls off, there's a second chance - and it's only a chance - that the package will be delivered correctly.

3) Tape every potential weak point of the package liberally. My theory is that the more work it takes to get into the box, the less likely that it will be broken into. It is just a theory and there is no sicientific evidence whatsoever to prove it, but I put absolute faith in the theory!
Old 05-06-2014, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
Your friend suffered the biggest failure of any reasonably good system - the human failure. Delivery person dropped the package at the wrong house. Unfortunately, it happens.

When I mail a quilt, I use the USPS, and insure them for the cost of materials - usually about $100 when you add in fabric, batting, thread and backing. So far, all of the quilts I've mailed have reached their intended recipient.

There are several things that I do to help insure that a package gets to it's intended destination:

1) Write the "TO: address " large on the box label. The easier it is to read, the more likely that it will be delivered to the right person. I always tape over it with clear tape so that rain or snow can't wash it away.

2) Tape another label iin a very visible spot nside the box. That way, if the box comes open or the label falls off, there's a second chance - and it's only a chance - that the package will be delivered correctly.

3) Tape every potential weak point of the package liberally. My theory is that the more work it takes to get into the box, the less likely that it will be broken into. It is just a theory and there is no sicientific evidence whatsoever to prove it, but I put absolute faith in the theory!
These are all very good ideas. I send mine USPS, insure for the cost of material and then you get a tracking code.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:20 AM

Also, when insuring the quilt, be sure to list it as a "bedspread", not a "quilt". Thieves are everywhere, and, sadly, even within the postal service. Boxes listed as quilts are more likely to be stolen than bedspreads.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:50 AM

The post office staff know me. LOL If I come in with a box they know what it is. They have taken the quilt out of the box and re taped, or if I didn't have a box they have helped me find the right fit. Knock on wood, my quilts have gotten to where they were going. My friends have had more trouble with UPS or FED-EX not delivering to the right address. They are in too big of a hurry to check most times.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:29 AM

The few that I have had to mail I send via USPS and insure for the amount of my material and my longarm expense. Have never had a problem with them being delivered to the wrong address. Will say that 80% of the time that UPS and Fed-ex deliver a package to my home it is delivered to the next block. They can't seem to read the difference between an 8 and 9. The people that live in that home are really good about bringing me my packages.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:06 AM

I send them Priority Mail through the USPS, so I can track their progress. I type the address in large type and completely cover the address with wide tape. The box is taped all over to discourage opening it.

I also make a large label for front and back that says "Do Not Open With Sharp Objects"...so they don't take a box cutter and slash through to the quilt.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:17 AM
Power Poster

I send all my packages through USPS. I also send this very same way. Inside I enclose an envelope with a note so the unknown recipient understands the importance of the package. I include my phone number so they cancall me or the intended recipient to retrieve the package and sometimes there is a reward
Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post