Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 52 1 2 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009/2010 IRR Centers-Oct. 15, 2009 mailing date

Blog Entries
    Here is where we can post all our centers. Have to start the thread really early for all you overachievers!! Enjoy!

Here is Klue's center. It is a paper pieced self portrait. I think she is gorgeous!

Klue's self portrait paper pieced
    Name:  Attachment-47992.jpe
Views: 96
Size:  34.8 KB

Awesome Klue--can't wait to see how "you" turn out :wink:

Banned
    wow! how cool is that. :D

Banned
    thanks guys. i'm going to put a NY Beauty block at each corner and a black border.

WOW!!! Very cool!!!

WOW, that is so cool!!! Awsome job Klue!!
    Kimberly

Very nice!! Can't wait to see what everyone adds to it!

I have a feeling this is going to be an amazing quilt when it's done. How big is this portion?

Klue,

Did you draw that out and figure out the paper piecing yourself or did you do it in a program? VERY COOL!!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Esqmommy
    I have a feeling this is going to be an amazing quilt when it's done. How big is this portion?
    right now its 12 by 16. then i'll add 4 inch NY Beauties at each corner and if i'm doing the math correctly it will end up being 20 by 24.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bearpaw
    Klue,

Did you draw that out and figure out the paper piecing yourself or did you do it in a program? VERY COOL!!!
    its a really old design that a friend worked on when she was teaching me computer paper piece design. its based on andy warhol's marilyn monroe but i thought it would work for me - it could be any woman.

Your center will be stunning,, I also could not sleep last night, got up to work on mine and oh, it just wouldn't work up right, so back to the drawing board for me, I'll get it, I've made three of these center before, just stumped????
    Kimberly

Beautiful Klue,
    I was going to do the unicorn but I found four of my embroidered butterfly blocks I may put together....decisions decisions....
    Sincerely,
    April

Klue, you certainly are a NY Beauty. What a nice center. You should post more of your art quilts - would love to see them.

Blog Entries
    Klue...because you primarily make art quilts and there are a lot of folks doing the IRR that are more "traditional" quilters...could you maybe throw out some ideas at to what types of rounds might work well with a center such as yours? We of course, don't have groups assigned yet...but I think that such a beautiful, but different center may need for some of us to think outside our boxes...and we might need a nudge to do that :wink:

Great suggestion Sandpat! I would also venture to guess, and if I'm wrong..sorry, but I'll bet KLue is expecting us to do what we do best, and not necessarily something that is her style...KLue, you strike me as a very open person in that regard!

Banned
    i consider all quilts "art" the only difference i've ever seen on this forum is that i have more contemporary tastes and a lot of people here have traditional tastes - but really its all art.

i find the big difference between contemporary and traditional is fabric selection because both use the same blocks (flying geese, 9 patch, drunkark path, prairie points, etc)

i can understand how a traditional quilter can look at this center and wonder what in the world do you do with something like that. once i put on the NY Beauties i think people might feel more comfortable since thats a traditional style block i'm just making it in batiks.

i would like for everyone to do what they consider to be their signature style. this center is a blank slate, there isn't a print, the colors are all neutral and go with any other color (yes, blue, hot pink, and gold are neutrals), it is all batik fabric but that goes with anything too.

the theme is "around the world with my friends" for international and "cross country with my friends" for US - so the theme calls for you to do a signature border.

it could be something native to your state or country (flowers, animals, cultural design, the colors of your flag in whatever pattern you like) or it could be something that defines you as a quilt artist such as doing your favorite block or your favorite style of fabric.

i will be thrilled and honored by all the work done on the centers. i know that it will be in the spirit of love and friendship and that's what makes it special.

if i get a center and i'm stumped i'm going to reach out to everyone for ideas and i hope you guys feel that way too - its fun to work together to create a quilt - it reminds me of the traditional quilting bee.

Klue.....Hot pinks, huh? What about some dragon flies, lizards and fireflys to go with it? :) :) :)

Banned
    LOL

i love lizards, that geico gecko is so cute and i love his accent.

Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    Klue...because you primarily make art quilts and there are a lot of folks doing the IRR that are more "traditional" quilters...could you maybe throw out some ideas at to what types of rounds might work well with a center such as yours? We of course, don't have groups assigned yet...but I think that such a beautiful, but different center may need for some of us to think outside our boxes...and we might need a nudge to do that :wink:

I so agree, I'm such an old fashioned quilter, I would be afraid of messing that beautiful block up some way.

Klue, I love your style of creating. You are incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by kluedesigns
    LOL

Hmm....I don't have any of the Geico geckos here. I have brown ones....they should match, don't ya think?
    I think this one will go perfectly! :)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninnie
    Quote Originally Posted by sandpat

I so agree, I'm such an old fashioned quilter, I would be afraid of messing that beautiful block up some way.
    ninnie

i think you would do a beautiful job on the center.

i'm sure you know how to make flying geese, or HST, or a 4 patch - those would all make great border designs and would bring your artistic style and personality into the quilt.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    Quote Originally Posted by kluedesigns
    LOL

Hmm....I don't have any of the Geico geckos here. I have brown ones....they should match, don't ya think?
    absolutely, brown goes with everything.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky
    Klue, I love your style of creating. You are incredible.
    thank you ducky - i know you would do a beautiful border on the centers.

Page 1 of 52 1 2 11 51 ... LastLast