Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Make blocks bigger? >

Make blocks bigger?

Make blocks bigger?

Old 01-10-2014, 08:25 AM

These are some really good suggestions. I am taking note for when (not "if") I need this information!
Old 01-10-2014, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by ladygen View Post
I pulled out some old block exchange blocks - three of the nine are 1/4-1/2 inch smaller than the others and I can't make the others smaller without cutting off points. Is there a good way to make them bigger aside from adding a mini border around them? I am going to sash them when they're all the same size, but I don't know how to make it work well and look cohesive without taking the blocks apart. Help?
I think I would add a a wider border to all of them, then trim them all to the same size, which would leave some with a slightly wider border, but would give a cohesiveness to the overall design.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
There's a book "Setting Solutions", by Sharyn Craig. The book has all kinds of interesting ideas for setting blocks, and many of her ideas address blocks that came out different sizes. There's some good deals on used copies:
http://www.amazon.com/Setting-Soluti...ting+solutions
This is a terrific book. I bought mine from Alibris.com really cheap. She even shows you how to put together blocks that are completely different shapes/colors by adding the same borders and the quilts were beautiful. You'd never know they were orphan blocks.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by lakekids View Post
You could also make them all wonky. Instead of just a mini border around the smaller ones, add a larger border 3 or 4 inches around each one. Then turn them slightly and make them all a standard block size by cutting them so that the 'border' is wonky triangles.

http://www.amazon.com/Twist-Turn-Fra.../dp/1885588100
I did this method to make a Christmas quilt from guild members blocks. Blocks from others are almost never the right size and I love my quilt with the twisted block setting.