Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making the Most of a Beginner's Quilting Class >

Making the Most of a Beginner's Quilting Class

Making the Most of a Beginner's Quilting Class

Old 03-11-2015, 05:28 AM

Default Making the Most of a Beginner's Quilting Class

Hi, I've signed up for my first quilting class. My question is how do I get the most out of the class. I usually end up with many questions when I actually go to try and use the information I've gained during a class.

This is the Beginner's Machine Piecing Class. And from looking at the sample I know I'd like to sash between the blocks and that isn't included in the class. Should I stick to what's being taught or is it ok to "march to a different drummer," when learning?

Thank you for all your thoughts on this subject.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:32 AM

If you have questions about a method that is not being specifically taught in the class, it may best to wait until the end of the class to have that conversation with the instructor. This way, the instructor gets to go over their entire 'lesson plan' and might just cover some of your questions without first being asked.

Make up a list of questions to take with you and keep it handy during class - possibly even a notebook with each question on a single page. You could then take notes specific to those questions if they are addressed during the class or you will then have them all handy at the end to discuss with the instructor one-on-one if that option is available to you.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:35 AM
Power Poster

If you are a beginning beginner - I think it is easier for the "group" to stay more or lrss together.

If you are adept at making the changes more or less on your own - then go for it.

My reasons for staying with the class - less confusion to the others, and the instructor can stay with her lesson plan.

Last edited by bearisgray; 03-11-2015 at 05:43 AM.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:40 AM

The way to get the most out of a class is to listen, watch, then do whatever step the teacher is on. If you have questions, ask them. If you don't understand something, ask the teacher to explain again. And have fun. Enjoy what you are doing and don't stress. I haven't met anyone yet who has made a "perfect" quilt.

I would suggest that you stick with what's being taught in the class. Once you learn how to piece a top, adding sashing is just another step in construction. There are several different types of sashing -- plain, with cornerstones (plain or pieced blocks (4- or 9-patch or stars)). Also, see if there are going to be additional classes. Maybe one of them will include sashing.

Welcome to the wonderful world of quilting.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:57 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
If you have questions about a method that is not being specifically taught in the class, it may best to wait until the end of the class to have that conversation with the instructor. This way, the instructor gets to go over their entire 'lesson plan' and might just cover some of your questions without first being asked.

Make up a list of questions to take with you and keep it handy during class - possibly even a notebook with each question on a single page. You could then take notes specific to those questions if they are addressed during the class or you will then have them all handy at the end to discuss with the instructor one-on-one if that option is available to you.
I AGREE with what NJ Quilter said. Remember how to take notes. I took a machine quilting class from Harriet Hargrave and even being a more advance quilter than the others, I was amazed at how much I learned from her class. A teacher would always prefer to answer questions at the end of the class. Also in my experience in teaching, I watch when many quilting groups grew out of these quilters enjoying the company of the classmates. So be sure to have fun !!
Old 03-11-2015, 06:27 AM
Power Poster

I agree. go with the lessons taught. Don't upset the teacher or get her off track, you might be sorry. Once you learn the basics you can play with pattern and do as you like. I know one of my teachers thinks her way is the only way so in class I do it her way. When I get home I play with my ideas. Some people are just to set in their ways. Dont fight it--not worth it.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:26 AM

Get a feel for the teacher first, before going off the taught subject, and ask privately towards the end of class, not in front of everyone.

I've had teachers who were very strict on you only doing what they teach, and I've had teachers who were delighted that I wanted to go off the beaten path, so to speak.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
If you are adept at making the changes more or less on your own - then go for it.

As Bearisgray said, if you can make the changes on your own, that's okay. But if you go that route and have questions because you strayed from the original plan, you definitely need to wait until the end of the class to ask. It's not fair to other students for you to take up class time asking questions about something no one else is doing.

Have fun!