Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: This is making my head hurt!

This is making my head hurt!

I want to piece the back for a quilt because (a) I don't have enough of a single fabric and (b) I want to use all my scraps from the front. I've never done this before.

I am trying to figure out where the leftover pieces should go relative to the bigger pieces of fabric to make the back the size I need.

I've been trying to lay it out on graph paper this morning, but am not having a lot of luck. I get to a certain point and my head hurts and my eyes cross! I am considering cutting the larger pieces of fabric into, say, 12 inch blocks or strips and just start sewing everything together. Or perhaps I should look for a pattern to use for the back and hope I have enough fabric.

Thank you for ideas and/or tips.
    If I had known how much fun I could have quilting, I would have started 40 years ago!

Blog Entries
    I think it's easiest to cut wide strips of the larger pieces, then decide on a block size and make a strip of blocks (does not need to be the same size) to insert between the wide fabric strips. You could repeat this as needed to fill out the length. You could also use blocks just for part of a strip and fill out the rest with strips of fabric. Off-center the blocks. This would make for an interesting back that is not too much work.

Thank you, Prism99! I'll just screw my courage to the sticking post and start cutting!
    If I had known how much fun I could have quilting, I would have started 40 years ago!

Blog Entries
    Make a big square patch backing. Sew all the scrap pieces into big square pieces and then alternate the scrap squares with backing fabric squares. I do it this way to use up big scrap pieces and it makes a great backing fabric.
    Got fabric?

You really want the least amount of seams on the backing. Remember, you have all the seams on your top and sometimes when quilting if a top seam and a back seam met, you might have trouble with the stitching because of the bulk. Also, the more seams the less fabric you have to work with. If you should ever catch the PBS show Quilt in a Day (also on the RFD), one of EB assistant is Sue Bouchard who ALWAYS uses up all her leftovers for piecing the back of her quilts. EB will always show the backs of Sue's quilts on the TV show.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I do the same as Prism. I turn the spare fabric into squares and run them lengthwise down the back to make up the width. I never try to place it in the exact center, I always try to place it to one side maybe 8-12 inches from the edge on the left or right.

Blog Entries
    there's a free class at craftsy on creative quilt backs:

http://www.craftsy.com/classes/quilt...=quilting/free
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    I used scraps on the back of this one. the front was diamonds with wide orange borders. I just put the scraps together and added orange fabric to top and bottom. then to the sides for enough backing.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

There are several good tutorials if you look on Google for pieced backing. Here is one that looks quite good:http://christaquiltsblog.com/2013/07...king-tutorial/

I love playing around with pieced backs Kim and once you start it tends to get a bit addictive. Am attaching some of mine to give you a bit of encouragement. Good luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images            
    Mary B

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast