Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making your own FMQ design templates >

Making your own FMQ design templates

Making your own FMQ design templates

Old 06-01-2011, 11:44 AM

I bought a book on FMQ and it says "make a copy of this and practice" on a quilt or sandwich etc. If you make a copy of a pattern - how do you go about doing it? I thought of tracing it onto tissue paper as regular paper seems to heavy and getting it back off again might distort the stitches.

If you make your own templates/patterns, how do you do it?
Old 06-01-2011, 11:58 AM

The paper from the chiropractors office that he uses on the head rest works really well.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:01 PM

You can buy a roll of "exam table paper" from a medical supply store. I paid about $6.00. I like to draw my designs on Sulky Solvy with Crayola washable markers. I pin that to the quilt, once quilted, I cut away the bulky extra and the rest washes out. No marks to remove, no little bits to pull out with tweezers. That's my favorite way.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by katier825
You can buy a roll of "exam table paper" from a medical supply store. I paid about $6.00. I like to draw my designs on SULKY SOLVY with Crayola washable markers. I pin that to the quilt, once quilted, I cut away the bulky extra and the rest washes out. No marks to remove, no little bits to pull out with tweezers. That's my favorite way.
What is Sulky Solvy? I've never heard of this.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:30 PM

I've got tracing paper that I use. It's gold colored ... can buy it in rolls. Someone here will remember the name of it - I can't :)
Old 06-01-2011, 12:37 PM

I just buy a cheap roll of greaseproof paper in the supermarket, and use that.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:37 PM
Banned

goldenthreads makes a really great paper for this...Right now, I only have the 24" rolls in stock, but I sell more of that size because you can have your DH cut into 2-12" rolls..or like me, I have them cut into 4", 6", 8" and 12"!
I have traced printed patterns and I have used plastic stencils, either way it works great...even if you freehand a design...
Old 06-01-2011, 12:50 PM
Power Poster

I have used the Golden Thread yellow paper that comes on a roll and it works well. You can also use plain tissue paper to trace the design and then pin to the quilt sandwich. If I just want one copy, I sometimes use the Glad Press & Seal method. You take a length and lay it tacky side down on the design. You then take a permanent fine marker and trace the design. When the marker is dry, peel the Press & Seal off the design and press it onto the quilt sandwich. It will stick and you machine stitch through it to quilt. After you are done, you peel off the Press & Seal, it can take awhile to get it all and I sometimes use tweezers.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Elisabethann
Originally Posted by katier825
You can buy a roll of "exam table paper" from a medical supply store. I paid about $6.00. I like to draw my designs on SULKY SOLVY with Crayola washable markers. I pin that to the quilt, once quilted, I cut away the bulky extra and the rest washes out. No marks to remove, no little bits to pull out with tweezers. That's my favorite way.
What is Sulky Solvy? I've never heard of this.
It's a roll of clear film. Looks like Glad Wrap, but washes away. It's sold near the pre-packaged interfacings.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
I've got tracing paper that I use. It's gold colored ... can buy it in rolls. Someone here will remember the name of it - I can't :)
Golden Threads Paper is made for machine quilting. You can draw or needle punch your design on it and pin it to your quilt and sew on the lines. The paper tears off really easily.