Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Making my own templates

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In Plain Sight
    Posts
    307
    It is an economy thing but I (a very newbie) was wondering if it is possible to make my own plastic templates? Someone said they come in kits but I would like to know if it is possible to make my own. Would those plastic/vynil sheet protectors work or do I need to go to the harware store and see if they can cut plexiglass for me? Remember: I am frugal to a fault. TIA.

  2. #2
    Super Member donnajean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Holland, PA
    Posts
    4,320
    You can make your own templates. There are sheets of mylar for sale at quilt shops. You can even use cardboard - like cereal boxes - as my grandmother did.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In Plain Sight
    Posts
    307
    Great! Thanks so much....

  4. #4
    Super Member donnajean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Holland, PA
    Posts
    4,320
    Found this on JoAnn's website. I don't know if it's in their stores. My sister used to purchase this stuff for me. You can make quite a few templates from the 6 sheets in the package. If they have it at JoAnns, you can use their coupons to purchase it cheaper.

    http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...RODID=prd59594

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In Plain Sight
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by donnajean
    Found this on JoAnn's website. I don't know if it's in their stores. My sister used to purchase this stuff for me. You can make quite a few templates from the 6 sheets in the package. If they have it at JoAnns, you can use their coupons to purchase it cheaper.

    http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...RODID=prd59594
    This is getting better and better. What a great group of (dare I say) FRIENDS.

  6. #6
    Super Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Merced, CA
    Posts
    4,229
    Blog Entries
    1
    Yes, you can make your own, and come up with some pretty patterns.

    I have lots of non-commercial templates in my stash. I have jar lids, a thick plastic star given as a gift, bottle caps, a clean round piece of cardboard the size of a pizza, smaller rounds down to a small bottle cap for cherries on an ice cream sundae, a couple of neat plastic rounds that came from a hamburger press (Tupperware?) and lots that I'd have to search through to remember what they were to start with.

    Like someone else said, our Grandmothers used every thing their clever minds could find, and they made lovely stuff that is still with is.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Twilliebee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    PEI, Canada
    Posts
    569
    Just keep in mind that template plastic is really not thick enough to use a rotary cutter safely. Scissor? No problem. If you have a printer you might want to check out http://lindafranz.com/section/inklingo-home/1
    Have fun! and welcome. I'm also quite madly frugal. Here's a super thriftly little project: http://replayground.blogspot.com/201...ff-wallet.html
    I'm always chopping up shirts for quilts, so this one really got my brain working!

  8. #8
    Power Poster Lacelady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    12,322
    Blog Entries
    19
    Novelty cookie cutters make nice quilting templates too.

  9. #9
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Michigan Thumb
    Posts
    1,720
    Also check out the $$ stores for the kitchen cutting mats. I found them in a 3-pack for $1.29, put your pattern under and then draw with permanent pen. They can be cut with utility scissors into any shape needed. They are not heat proof and not for rotary cutters. You can put down the mat pattern and use your ruler and cutter to follow the straight line pieces.

    Have bought a number of them just for my quilting and for purse patterns I make often.
    Jan

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    737
    I made them from acrylic sheets. I do the design and one of my sons cuts them for me.
    The acrylic sheet cost only $1.99 at Home Depot, and I could make several different templates out of one sheet.
    try it.

  11. #11
    Super Member dungeonquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,031
    I go to the dollar store and buy the cutting mats that they sell. They are about the weight of a file folder, but plastic. Cut out easily, and hold up nicely.

  12. #12
    AbbyQuilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Monroeville, PA
    Posts
    579
    Blog Entries
    1
    I made up a tutorial on templates in it there is a picture of the plastic I use. It is plastic notebook dividers that you can get for about 3.50 or less for an 8 pack

    Here is the link
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-57961-1.htm
    hope that helps

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In Plain Sight
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
    I made up a tutorial on templates in it there is a picture of the plastic I use. It is plastic notebook dividers that you can get for about 3.50 or less for an 8 pack

    Here is the link
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-57961-1.htm
    hope that helps
    You are a sweetheart....this is just what I was looking for. I needed something I could see through and that would hold up for a bit. Bless you.

  14. #14
    MyrtleWilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by fmd36
    Quote Originally Posted by donnajean
    Found this on JoAnn's website. I don't know if it's in their stores. My sister used to purchase this stuff for me. You can make quite a few templates from the 6 sheets in the package. If they have it at JoAnns, you can use their coupons to purchase it cheaper.

    http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...RODID=prd59594
    This is getting better and better. What a great group of (dare I say) FRIENDS.
    DITTO

    :thumbup:

  15. #15
    Super Member janedee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    canterbury uk
    Posts
    1,030
    Quote Originally Posted by fmd36
    It is an economy thing but I (a very newbie) was wondering if it is possible to make my own plastic templates? Someone said they come in kits but I would like to know if it is possible to make my own. Would those plastic/vynil sheet protectors work or do I need to go to the harware store and see if they can cut plexiglass for me? Remember: I am frugal to a fault. TIA.
    being of the same mind as you I quite often make mine from cardboard unless I am going to use it a zillion times - but to be honest I thoroughly enjoy the process of cutting shapes out of cardboard - how sad is that ha ha!!

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In Plain Sight
    Posts
    307
    Oh, that is funny...just realized that in myself. I think that is why I loved teaching kindergarten and first grade...my second gs and I spend hours with playdough...[quote=janedee][quote=fmd36

    being of the same mind as you I quite often make mine from cardboard unless I am going to use it a zillion times - but to be honest I thoroughly enjoy the process of cutting shapes out of cardboard - how sad is that ha ha!![/quote]

  17. #17
    Senior Member quilting memaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Spokane, Washington
    Posts
    381
    Hubby makes mine from plexi glass. Uses a scrol saw. Then I use an emery board to soften the edges. Think enough so roller dosen't jump over the edge. I have tons of them and love it!

  18. #18
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    MS
    Posts
    3,486
    Blog Entries
    2
    But how do you get the homemade templates a true square?
    I have wasted lots of plexi glass and other stuff. I keep throwing them away because they are not square. The scrol saw might be the answer? The 'things around the house' sound like a really good idea. So far I am not learning how to do curves, circles and all those fancy things. Great post!

  19. #19
    Senior Member cizzors's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    580
    I'm going to give this a shot with the Happy Daisys pattern. I wouldn't think the templates need to be clear so I've been saving the tops to coffee cans and a couple square gallon ice cream containers. This will work, right?

  20. #20
    Super Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Merced, CA
    Posts
    4,229
    Blog Entries
    1
    I forgot old "come in the mail" AOL and other sample CDs
    we used to get so many of, true circles and have a smaller circle inside. In my stash is also half of a plastic egg, from when panty hose came in plastic eggs, and like someone else said, old and new cookie cutters for applique patterns, they last forever.

    And if you can get the Plexiglass square, you can use a non permanent marker to mark around the pattern you want to "fussy cut" lots of duplicates for that pattern. Just find the match, hold the square over it and cut around it. Or mark around it for scissor cutting.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.