Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making my own templates >

Making my own templates

Making my own templates

Old 09-07-2010, 11:30 AM

I go to the dollar store and buy the cutting mats that they sell. They are about the weight of a file folder, but plastic. Cut out easily, and hold up nicely.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:34 AM

I made up a tutorial on templates in it there is a picture of the plastic I use. It is plastic notebook dividers that you can get for about 3.50 or less for an 8 pack

Here is the link
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-57961-1.htm
hope that helps
Old 09-07-2010, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
I made up a tutorial on templates in it there is a picture of the plastic I use. It is plastic notebook dividers that you can get for about 3.50 or less for an 8 pack

Here is the link
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-57961-1.htm
hope that helps
You are a sweetheart....this is just what I was looking for. I needed something I could see through and that would hold up for a bit. Bless you.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by fmd36
Originally Posted by donnajean
Found this on JoAnn's website. I don't know if it's in their stores. My sister used to purchase this stuff for me. You can make quite a few templates from the 6 sheets in the package. If they have it at JoAnns, you can use their coupons to purchase it cheaper.

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...RODID=prd59594
This is getting better and better. What a great group of (dare I say) FRIENDS.
DITTO

:thumbup:
Old 09-09-2010, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by fmd36
It is an economy thing but I (a very newbie) was wondering if it is possible to make my own plastic templates? Someone said they come in kits but I would like to know if it is possible to make my own. Would those plastic/vynil sheet protectors work or do I need to go to the harware store and see if they can cut plexiglass for me? Remember: I am frugal to a fault. TIA.
being of the same mind as you I quite often make mine from cardboard unless I am going to use it a zillion times - but to be honest I thoroughly enjoy the process of cutting shapes out of cardboard - how sad is that ha ha!!
Old 09-09-2010, 07:41 AM

Oh, that is funny...just realized that in myself. I think that is why I loved teaching kindergarten and first grade...my second gs and I spend hours with playdough...[quote=janedee][quote=fmd36

being of the same mind as you I quite often make mine from cardboard unless I am going to use it a zillion times - but to be honest I thoroughly enjoy the process of cutting shapes out of cardboard - how sad is that ha ha!![/quote]
Old 09-09-2010, 12:54 PM

Hubby makes mine from plexi glass. Uses a scrol saw. Then I use an emery board to soften the edges. Think enough so roller dosen't jump over the edge. I have tons of them and love it!
Old 09-09-2010, 01:00 PM

But how do you get the homemade templates a true square?
I have wasted lots of plexi glass and other stuff. I keep throwing them away because they are not square. The scrol saw might be the answer? The 'things around the house' sound like a really good idea. So far I am not learning how to do curves, circles and all those fancy things. Great post!
Old 09-09-2010, 01:39 PM

I'm going to give this a shot with the Happy Daisys pattern. I wouldn't think the templates need to be clear so I've been saving the tops to coffee cans and a couple square gallon ice cream containers. This will work, right?
Old 09-09-2010, 02:05 PM

I forgot old "come in the mail" AOL and other sample CDs
we used to get so many of, true circles and have a smaller circle inside. In my stash is also half of a plastic egg, from when panty hose came in plastic eggs, and like someone else said, old and new cookie cutters for applique patterns, they last forever.

And if you can get the Plexiglass square, you can use a non permanent marker to mark around the pattern you want to "fussy cut" lots of duplicates for that pattern. Just find the match, hold the square over it and cut around it. Or mark around it for scissor cutting.