Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Male looking for advice on first quilt for mother >

Male looking for advice on first quilt for mother

Male looking for advice on first quilt for mother

Old 01-08-2014, 03:52 PM

Default Male looking for advice on first quilt for mother

Hi Everyone

I have joined this board in the hopes of getting some advice on my first quilting project. Being a 21 year old male, I have limited sewing experience primarily in hemming my BDUs and hemming Shemagh scarves for myself and friends.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]455554[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]455555[/ATTACH]
Here are two salvaged pieces from a “large pillow” my grandmother and great grandmother made for me as a birthday present back in 2000. Enclosed in the two halves was polyester batting and 4 buttons were sewn through the entire pillow to hold it together.

As I got older, the pillow slowly became obsolete due to different sleeping arrangements. I knew that one day my grandmothers would not be with me so I kept the front and back sheets in storage.
Unfortunately both of my grandmothers succumbed to cancer over the span 2011-2012. It hit my mother pretty hard, and she is still trying to get through it. It is my wish to re-purpose one of these halves into something for my mother for her upcoming birthday in February.

The two halves ‘colors are still bright as they weren't washed until today. I felt the need to hand wash because the materials are a little on the thin side and I didn’t want the washing machine to destroy them. The two halves measure 35x42 inches.

My question is, given the size of these halves, what do you suggest I make them into? I thought it would be nice to make one into a lap throw for my mother, but I was wondering how I could pull that off and reinforce the top so the patches would be durable.

Any help brainstorming would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails pillow-front.jpg   pillow-rear.jpg  
Old 01-08-2014, 04:07 PM

If the piece was quilted that would help the durability of the lap throw.Do you have a walking foot/dual feed?
Old 01-08-2014, 04:13 PM

What type of material are they?
Old 01-08-2014, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by wolph33 View Post
If the piece was quilted that would help the durability of the lap throw.Do you have a walking foot/dual feed?
I have a Brother XL 2600 25 stitch sewing machine.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by Louis; 01-08-2014 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by kaelynangelfoot View Post
What type of material are they?
Hmm, the patches are varying materials, but if I had to guess almost all of them are a Cotton/polyester blend with the handkerchief design patches being 100% cotton. I know the blue borders are made of a synthetic material. All of the material is about the same thickness you would find in a typical handkerchief (its kind of thin). That's why I am also concerned about finding a way to make the piece more durable.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:21 PM

I would use just one of them now, and save the other for something in the future.

Ok, first off, I would get some some featherweight fusible stabilizer (like this stuff: Pellon) Gently fuse this on the back of the piece, it will help stabilize the fabric for you, especially if it is very thin. It is what I use to stabilize silk.

Then, hmm,....well you can always add borders in graduated sizes......but as a mom I might like to have some blocks too....especially made by my son.

So if one of the tops is 35x42....a general size for throw/lap quilt is 50x60 (ish, mine just end up being what ever they are when done ) then you need to add about 20ins to both measurements, if you split that btween the two sides, then you have 10ins per side to fill. So if you do 8in blocks, then add a small 3in border, it will lap size. Perhaps pick up a few fabrics that you like and a few that your mom would like, and do some type of 4 patch or even a pinwheel. That way the top is a combination of everyone's likes and as a mom, that will mean a whole lot!

I would also keep the quilting very simple, stitch in the ditch or even do a stitch in the ditch about 1/4in from the seam on both sides......that will keep the focus on the fabric....
Old 01-08-2014, 04:26 PM

Well, I suppose you could add a layer of foundation fabric underneath, like muslin? I've never tried this, but an extra layer of fabric between it and the batting would probably help. I would use spray or glue basting to hold it together as you sew.

If it was my project, I would square it up, add another border to make it larger (maybe six inches all the way around), then sandwich it with batting and backing and quilt it with a criscross diamond pattern. You should be able to get a walking foot for the quilting for any sewing machine you have - check in your manual for the correct foot. A lot of sewing machines come with them already.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:31 PM

Just wanted to wish you good luck whichever path you chose. I'm sure your mom will be delighted
Old 01-08-2014, 04:31 PM
Power Poster

Some of the most talented quilters are MEN. I even quilted a top for a fireman who was very talented with his selections of fabrics.

To preserve them for generations and to be able to give them eventually to your kids telling them stories about your Grandmother, I would have them framed. Maybe you could add special family pictures of her in with the frame. Do kind of like a memory box. I know your Mom will appreciate what ever you do because you did it with love in your heart !! Welcome to the board !!
Old 01-08-2014, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by CarolynMT View Post
I would use just one of them now, and save the other for something in the future.

Ok, first off, I would get some some featherweight fusible stabilizer (like this stuff: Pellon) Gently fuse this on the back of the piece, it will help stabilize the fabric for you, especially if it is very thin. It is what I use to stabilize silk.

Then, hmm,....well you can always add borders in graduated sizes......but as a mom I might like to have some blocks too....especially made by my son.

So if one of the tops is 35x42....a general size for throw/lap quilt is 50x60 (ish, mine just end up being what ever they are when done ) then you need to add about 20ins to both measurements, if you split that btween the two sides, then you have 10ins per side to fill. So if you do 8in blocks, then add a small 3in border, it will lap size. Perhaps pick up a few fabrics that you like and a few that your mom would like, and do some type of 4 patch or even a pinwheel. That way the top is a combination of everyone's likes and as a mom, that will mean a whole lot!

I would also keep the quilting very simple, stitch in the ditch or even do a stitch in the ditch about 1/4in from the seam on both sides......that will keep the focus on the fabric....
Wow..Thank you for the insight! I like the idea of surrounding one of these pieces with some of my own cut squares.

I forget what the underside of the quilt is called. What material would be best for the underside? would I need to put a batting in the middle of the underside the top? (I can't remember if that's appropriate or not for a lap throw)

I will have to look up what a "stitch in the ditch" is I have some learning to do for this project