Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Margin of Error Question >
  • Margin of Error Question

• Margin of Error Question

Old 06-18-2014, 08:17 AM

Looks good to me - my criteria include - does the square look crooked, and will I have a problem with having enough fabric for the adjoining seam. If both of those things are good, than so am I. If your seams are consistent, should be able to match it up just fine.
    Old 06-18-2014, 10:22 AM

In you photo you show a strip of squares stitched together. From your description you are endeavoring to be accurate with your quarter inch seam. The real test comes when you stitch the rows together. Pressing of your strips is important. Be sure to press the seams so they oppose each other;then, they will nest together when you stitch them and the seams will be perfect. For instance, press the seams on one strip to the right and to the left on the next strip. Please be careful not to work too far ahead of yourself in case you need to go back and fix something-you don't want to have to fix a lot of something. I know about being a perfectionist because I am one and I will always go back and fix problems-I can't let it go and for that I make no apology. Keep up the good work and enjoy the process and build your skills one project at a time.
    Old 06-18-2014, 11:56 AM

Just as long as you remember that the pursuit of excellence doesn't assume obsessive perfectionism, you'll do just fine. You need to make mistakes in order to learn from them and grow as an artist. If everything always goes without a fault, there is no challenge, no progression.
    Old 06-18-2014, 12:46 PM
    Power Poster

And even experts have things turn out "not quite as planned" at times.

The real question/answer will be when you put the rows together. If they squares line up fine, you are in good shape.
    Old 06-18-2014, 01:03 PM
    Power Poster

Redo the seams you think aren't perfect. Measure each seam allowance on the backside to be sure they are all the same width. With a ruler draw a very thin straight line and sew your seam exactly to the right of that line. You may have to use a magnifying glass to be exactly exact. Measure each sewn block, if they are not all the exact size you will have to start over. Being perfect is the main goal of quilting.

LOL.

If I can fudge a smidge or two and it fits, it's perfect in my book.
    Old 06-18-2014, 01:56 PM
    Power Poster

Before I saw your "LOL" - I thought "What the ****?" I'm into accuracy - but I thought your post was a little extreme - until I read the rest of it. I think you should also have had her measure the "finished" width of the blocks instead - after all, one can have the most perfect 1/4 inch seams and cut the pieces wonky as all get out! and still have quite a mess at the end of it all.

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    Redo the seams you think aren't perfect. Measure each seam allowance on the backside to be sure they are all the same width. With a ruler draw a very thin straight line and sew your seam exactly to the right of that line. You may have to use a magnifying glass to be exactly exact. Measure each sewn block, if they are not all the exact size you will have to start over. Being perfect is the main goal of quilting.

LOL.

If I can fudge a smidge or two and it fits, it's perfect in my book.
    Old 06-18-2014, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Linda1
    If I had to be perfect when I sew I would have to find another hobby. lol
    Amen to that!
    Old 06-18-2014, 03:09 PM

Something I have found that helps me in matching seams is to sew squares together in blocks, rather than in long strips, then join the blocks. When I do long strips, I have more trouble matching seams.
    Old 06-18-2014, 07:29 PM

Stagger the squares and you won't have to worry about seams. This will help you until you get more practice sewing 1/4 seams.
    Old 06-19-2014, 06:03 AM

Line up the seams as you go, and they will all fit. Seam should nest, one point toward you and one point away. I like to put a pin at each seam if it is important that they match exactly. If the bottom seam allowance is going into the machine first (pointing away from you) it is very important to put a pin in this seam allowance to keep that seam from flipping back toward you.

I try to line up the seams so that the top seam allowance is the one that goes into the machine first. The bottom one will follow. I can see that the top seam is going into the machine the correct way, and very often use a wooden skewer or dowel or toothpick, etc. to make this one behave.