Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Marking! Grrrr. There must be a better way! >

Marking! Grrrr. There must be a better way!

Marking! Grrrr. There must be a better way!

Old 02-04-2011, 10:23 AM

I'm using a stencil to mark a (large) crib quilt that's a fairly dense "meandering rose" design. The stencil is bigger than most but it's so frustrating to move it over and over. I have to keep changing marker colors for light/dark squares and it's driving me crazy. I wanted to do it on a light box but the prints are too busy! Any suggestions?
Old 02-04-2011, 10:35 AM

I mark my quilt by apply Press and Seal Wrap intended for food storage and then mark on the wrap. You can find several video demonstrations on line. I hope that helps.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by dixiebelle162002
I mark my quilt by apply Press and Seal Wrap intended for food storage and then mark on the wrap. You can find several video demonstrations on line. I hope that helps.
Is it hard to remove the press and seal? I tried it a few times for food and could never get it open and had to throw it out food and all. If it works well for marking, I will try it.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:41 AM
Power Poster

You can also use tissue paper, like the kind you use to wrap clothes in the box in Christmas presents. Get the white, trace your design, pin to your quilt and quilt right through the paper and tear away when done. They actually market a paper specifically for the purpose called golden threads but the plain white tissue paper is much less expensive.

I am not confident with Press and seal. I have heard some have nightmare stories about it gumming up the workings of their machines. Many have used with great success and no problems but I am not a gambler or risk taker. Paper will do no harm. cellophane intended to wrap food.... I'll not chance it.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by dixiebelle162002
I took a workshop, and the teacher suggested tracing onto the Press & Seal Wrap, and then stitching it alone. Then you can mark the quilt (without it slipping) with a pounce. You can also make it as long as you want.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:57 AM
Power Poster

http://www.fulllinestencil.com/prod01.htm
this chalk marker can work. you swipe it across stencils, not really pounce , even though that's the name of it.
then if your quilt is large, you can spray the markings with a bit of hair spray to keep it from rubbing off as you manuever it around the machine.