Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Marking on quilt >

Marking on quilt

Marking on quilt

Old 02-23-2014, 05:09 AM

Default Marking on quilt

I'm sure this has been asked about before, but how do you mark on your quilt? I have a fabric pencil and hate it because I can never see the lines it makes, so any suggestions would be great!
Old 02-23-2014, 05:16 AM

I have a tough time with this too. I've bought too many to count of the air erasable and water erasable pens, and if they are not totally dried out when I open them they seem to be good for only one or two uses. I've used the chalk pens, and like them, but sometimes they don't completely wash out. Right now I'm struggling with how to mark a T-shirt quilt that has pictures I printed onto fabric incorporated in it. Those are dry clean only and I'm afraid if I mark the quilt binding the marks won't wipe or blot off. I'm just finally starting to develop my FMQ skills, but don't want to try them on this quilt, as it is being made for a friend. I'll be watching this thread to see what other folks use.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:19 AM

I like the Clover chalk rollers with the tiny wheel. They make a nice thin line, easily removed. I also use the Ultimate Pounce white powder with a stencil, also easily removed. For pencil marking, I like Roxanne's silver and white pencils, also the Ultimate Marking Pencil for a darker thin line (this one is a mechanical pencil, sold at quilt shops).
Old 02-23-2014, 05:24 AM

On light fabric a good old #2 pencil works great and cost less. on dark fabric that a hole new ball game, I have been quilting for yearsss, and have now come up with any one thing that works well all time you just have try until you find what works on that fabric, I have used colored pencils, or dress maker chalk, on the board sometime back somebody said chalk board chalk works well, but I have not been able to find any. Alway test what you use on a scrap of the fabric to make sure that it will come out.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:34 AM

Not sure if you are talking about machine or hand quilting - or if it even makes a difference. I am a hand quilter. Like others, have tried lots of different marking tools that are taking up space in my sewing room. I now use a #2 mechanical pencil on light fabrics and a Bohin mechanical pencil w/white lead for dark fabrics. Both work well for me and I've not had issues with either washing out. I mark as I go and do so as lightly as possible to be able to see the lines. I've also used chalk mechanical pencils (available in JoAnn's and probably other places) and don't mind them either. The regular lead pencils I find are easier to work with and leave a finer line.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:40 AM

I hand quilt and agree with NJ Quilter, a mechanical pencil on light fabric works well and erases too. On dark fabric I use a chalk cartridge set, but only use the white chalk in the set. These are sold at Joann Fabrics, the cartridge holder is red. The yellow and blue chalks are not easy to rub away like the white especially from the light fabrics.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
I like the Clover chalk rollers with the tiny wheel. They make a nice thin line, easily removed.
I like the white, but had the blue imbed itself into the fabric on a feather spine. I won't use the blue on light fabric again. Many of my long arm friends on another site swear by washable markers for kids...Try them out on scraps before you use them on a quilt, tho!

I just saw an ad for a pencil form of pounce powder for marking on dark fabrics. I have not seen it, but I will look for it. It looks promising. Says 'stays in place,won't smudge, can be removed by washing or ironing off' Not affiliated..just curious! www.fulllinestencil.com
Old 02-23-2014, 10:05 AM
Power Poster

Goldenthreads paper is a good marking tool. It shows the lines and tears away so easy.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:33 AM
Power Poster

​I use regular white chalkboard chalk on medium to dark fabric.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:52 AM

I use Frixion pens for lighter colors and Fons and Porter Ceramic pencil in white for darks. I wash all my quilts when they are done so I have never had a Frixion pen mark return once it is washed !