Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Marking and Marking Tools >

Marking and Marking Tools

Marking and Marking Tools

Old 12-16-2011, 10:59 AM

Default Marking and Marking Tools

What do you think is the best for marking a quilt?

I have used several different products. I tried chalk but it seem to bounce off the quilt as I quilted it. I tried a removeable marker and it seemed to leave a slight trace line even after washing.

I tried a couple of products that were ok, but thought you all might have some good ideas.

I am marking on white and need it to come out.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly apprecated.

Thanks and Merry Christmas to you all!!!
Old 12-16-2011, 11:32 AM

I'll be watching for an ansewer on this. I to have to mark on a white on white and it needs to come completely out!
Old 12-16-2011, 11:38 AM

Also will watch for an answer. Thanks for posting the questions.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:47 AM

I have used chalk very successfully. I really like the chalk re-fillable pencils with the different colored 'leads'. The fat ones. Sorry I can't remember the brand but JoAnn's carries them all the time. I also use a plain old #2 mechanical pencil on light fabrics and have never had an issue with it washing out. Or the chalk mentioned above. And I've used every color in the box on some really light fabrics with no problems. I hand quilt and have moved towards marking as I go for the most part. The chalk will wear off easier if you are handling the quilt a lot. If you're machine quilting I don't know if it would be quite as much of an issue. I've tried every other 'quilter's' pencil in every color under the sun with little to no success. Although I also like the Bohin mechanical-pencil-style marker as well (in white) but it seems to have broken. Need to have DH look at it and see if I'm just loading it wrong. They do make a few other color leads for it but the colors in the chalk set above are more varied.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:57 AM
Power Poster

If it is staright lines I use painter's tape.There are blue markers that wash out that seem to work well. If it's on a dark fabric I use the pump fine white chalk pencils by Fons & Porter. If it isn't an heirloom quality quilt but a wallhanging or small sewing projects, I use my Frixion pens. There is a lot of debate about these on QB so read it before you decide. Frixion pens are made for paper but the line comes off with friction or an iron. On dark fabric they can bleach the line and if the project gets really cold the line can reappear.
You did not mention if you were machine quilting or hand quilting so I did the hand quilting first.
For machine quilting some like the Golden Thread paper that you stitch through. I like to use the glad press & seal if it's a one off design. Some people stack up layers of tissue paper and stitch through the stack on the design line with an empty machine needle. They pin attach the tissue to the surface of the quilt and follow the perforated line. There are as many methods out there as there are quilter's. Someone else can give you their favourite ways but always, always test whatever method on a scrap first.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:02 PM

I use the Chaco Liners from Clover. These can be found at Joann's and other fabric stores
as well. I love the job they do and it stays until I,m finished and then just brush off.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:15 PM

I will be machine quilting. I will research some of your ideas and see what else I come up with. I'm not in a major hurry....just want it done by August 1st....so I have a few days....I am still deciding what I am going to quilt on it, but regardless I want to make sure it dissappears.

thanks
Old 12-16-2011, 06:05 PM
Power Poster

i prefer fine tip mechanical pencils- i've never had pencil not wash out- and a mechanical pencil stays sharp-fine point- i mark as lightly as i can and still see it- most of the time it is possible to see the pencil lines even on dark fabrics- when i'm not using pencil i use chalk....everything else i've had mixed results from-some don't come out for me-
pencil and chalk always does---that being said---what ever you choose-always test to make sure it's going to come out before marking very much-some fabrics seem to really like to (hold onto marks)
Old 12-16-2011, 06:43 PM

I also like a plain pencil. I mark just dark enough to see it. I do hand quilt, so by the time i get done rubbing my arm over the quilt when quilting, the pencil marks are virtually gone. I have also used the Frixion pen and love it, too
Old 12-17-2011, 04:12 AM

If I am going to be quilting it very soon I'll use an air erasable marking pen.

If there is going to be a wait til I quilt it I might use a clear vinyl overlay and draw my design then get back to mark it just before quilting it.

Of course there is also Golden Threads ... they have a paper just for this. You draw your design with whatever [I'd still use a type of marking pencil, but that is just me - never a ball point or regular ink pen as that ink can really smear.] Pin it to the quilt and then follow the lines almost like PP.

ali