Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts for public viewing >

Quilts for public viewing

Quilts for public viewing

Old 12-17-2011, 07:58 AM

Smile Quilts for public viewing

I live in Lebanon Oregon and work in a medical clinic. We have about 12 Dr.'s and Nurse Practitioners, so it is a fairly large office. The manager lets me display my quilts in the building. I get comments on them daily, which is fun but not the reason that I hang them there. I do it to provide comfort to my patients and to educate the public on what quilting is, which is an art form. The other thing I do for the guild I belong to, the Santiam Scrappers Quilt Guild, and our community, is hang quilts at our local Safeway store in the pharmacy department. I have been doing that for at least 6 years now. The pharmacy is locked up at night, so the quilts are safe. I have two spots to hang smaller quilts and change them out once a month. The pharmacy staff love it and so do the people who shop there!!! I am constantly bugging the members of the guild to give me at least two of their small quilts for a month to show. I don't want the quilts to always be mine!!!
I would love to hear how others are sharing quilts with the public. Maybe we could spark a quilt revolution
Old 12-17-2011, 08:22 AM

What great ideas! I don't think anything like that is being done around here.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:45 AM

Such a wonderful idea! Have you ever had one of your quilts "borrowed" or re-purposed?
Old 12-17-2011, 08:59 AM

Our local hospital always has artwork on display, rotating, but has quilts in their permanent collection in the offices. Not mine, though.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:03 AM

MaryMo, I am not quite sure what you mean about borrowed or re-purposed??
Old 12-17-2011, 09:16 AM

My Mom was reciently in the hospital . The floor she had "her stay" had a fabulous collection of quilts on all the walls. It provided the motivation for her to keep walking , in order to see the next quilt.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:27 AM
mim

I went to a performance of The Nutcracker last night put on by the Northwest Ballet company in Olympia. The performing arts center had a great display of quits on the walls of the stairs and lounges of each floor. High soaring walls are great display places. They added to the pleasure of the evening. Many people were wandering around commenting on them during intermission
Old 12-17-2011, 12:11 PM

I have several quilts hanging in my office. Often, while I am interviewing clients, they will stop talking, look up and comment on one of the quilts.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:13 PM

Lori, that is awesome!!! What a great way to get patients to get their walks in, I love it!!
Old 12-17-2011, 12:19 PM
Power Poster

Hi Martha!
I'm a member of Martha's guild, and have had the pleasure of loaning small quilts for her displays. She says she is always bugging us, but that is not true; she asks nicely - again and again. And we're always willing to help because she contributes so much to our guild. Another member of our guild organizes a quilt display in the Corvallis library once a year, and another is displaying quilts in her B&B for the holidays.