View Single Post
Old 12-16-2011, 11:47 AM
NJ Quilter

I have used chalk very successfully. I really like the chalk re-fillable pencils with the different colored 'leads'. The fat ones. Sorry I can't remember the brand but JoAnn's carries them all the time. I also use a plain old #2 mechanical pencil on light fabrics and have never had an issue with it washing out. Or the chalk mentioned above. And I've used every color in the box on some really light fabrics with no problems. I hand quilt and have moved towards marking as I go for the most part. The chalk will wear off easier if you are handling the quilt a lot. If you're machine quilting I don't know if it would be quite as much of an issue. I've tried every other 'quilter's' pencil in every color under the sun with little to no success. Although I also like the Bohin mechanical-pencil-style marker as well (in white) but it seems to have broken. Need to have DH look at it and see if I'm just loading it wrong. They do make a few other color leads for it but the colors in the chalk set above are more varied.