Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Marking tools for quilting.....

Hi everyone. Just wanted to know what is the best marking tool or tools to get for marking the designs on quilts ready for FMQ. Also ones that don't cause a problem getting it off when finished quilting.

Blog Entries
    One thing that I was shown was to use a sliver of bar soap. It works great and will come off.

I like glad press and seal!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewnsewer2
    ?? are you cutting it out & finger pressing it to the blocks?

I'd be leary of that. that product has tiny pockets of glue that burst to attach.

Blog Entries
    Sorry; not sure how you would use this to mark the quilt for quilting. I guess I'm newer than I thought.

I'm using Fons and Porter Mechanical Fabric Pencil(red/white pen with white "lead") to mark on a dark background fabric and it does come off with damp cloth or in laundry. Don't know if it would work for you, I got mine 40% off at Hobby Lobby and it comes with a package of refills. Refills can also be ordered from Connecting Threads.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greensleeves
    I'm using Fons and Porter Mechanical Fabric Pencil(red/white pen with white "lead") to mark on a dark background fabric and it does come off with damp cloth or in laundry. Don't know if it would work for you, I got mine 40% off at Hobby Lobby and it comes with a package of refills. Refills can also be ordered from Connecting Threads.
    I used these to mark fabric that I was quilting for a jacket. What I liked about it was even though it'd wear off when the light from the machine hit it it would glow so you could still see the line.

That sounds just great....do hope we can get it here in Australia. Thanks for that hey!

Quote Originally Posted by romanojg
    Sorry; not sure how you would use this to mark the quilt for quilting. I guess I'm newer than I thought.
    I draw my stencil on it then lay it on my quilt and stitch following the design. Then tear off.