Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: May i ask the stupidest question ever????

When you hand quilt...... well i get that you follow a pattern and so but is it running stitches you do and how do you do the first and beginning stitches to avoid knots?????

I am planning to start with maschine quilting i think and i need veryyyyy beasic ideas suitable for a child me thinks but if i decide to hand quilt maybe some corners i need ideas for that too, links and photos even tutorials would be good cause it is so much out there i m totally confused :oops:

You pop the knot through the fabric so it gets buried in the batting. When you are nearing the end, you sititch in place, then knot a little ways away, and bury it the same way.

Blog Entries
    To bury the knot at the beginning, hold the knot under your thumbnail while pulling. It won't pop out or break. This is the best tip I ever got about handquilting.

What helped me the most when I was learning to quilt, was watching someone do it, better yet watching several people do it. Nothing is as good as seeing it, at least for me. Try at a quilt shop or a quilt show, most quilters would be happy to help. Good luck, and don't give up, it is a great pleasure once it "clicks".

Blog Entries
    Search for hand quilting on youtube....you can find all kinds of videos there that will show you what the answers above are talking about.

One of my books says when you are getting ready to end a section, just wrap the thread around the needle once and pull it into the fabric. It is almost like the way you start out and holds the thread in place nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by roselady
    What helped me the most when I was learning to quilt, was watching someone do it, better yet watching several people do it. Nothing is as good as seeing it, at least for me. Try at a quilt shop or a quilt show, most quilters would be happy to help. Good luck, and don't give up, it is a great pleasure once it "clicks".
    I dont know anyone who does quilting but i m willing 2 offer you a free holiday in Norway,lol
    Included in the offer is; lots of sewing stash and even more papercrafting, i also have a good suply of yarn for knitting, crocheting or tunisian crocheting, 7 chinchillas and 2 very picky and strange cats, 2 kids and my best friend who is just super and can function as a nurse.
    And yes we have a lovely garden too and stunning scenery :mrgreen:

Ps. if children are not preffered they can be temperaraly moved of the premises. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hows that for an holiday add girls??????

Did i mention its a possibilty 2 sew 24/7 and even bring your machine 2 bed with you????

When can I come?!!! A year ago my husband and I got to travel to Scotland to visit my daughter who had been there on a mission trip for two years. We were fortunate enough to travel through Great Britain, Belgium, and Germany. It was wonderful, but didn't get to Scandinavia at all.....someday, I hope. It would be my pleasure to teach you to quilt when I come....until then keep looking for someone to help you...tutorials online will also help, just don't give up.

Blog Entries
    trust me ... that is not a stupid question ... let alone the stupidest question ever asked here. :lol: :lol: :lol:

beginning and ending knots are the two trickiest steps in hand quilting. you were wise to ask. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by roselady
    When can I come?!!! A year ago my husband and I got to travel to Scotland to visit my daughter who had been there on a mission trip for two years. We were fortunate enough to travel through Great Britain, Belgium, and Germany. It was wonderful, but didn't get to Scandinavia at all.....someday, I hope. It would be my pleasure to teach you to quilt when I come....until then keep looking for someone to help you...tutorials online will also help, just don't give up.

I wasnt joking so u let me know when ur coming :wink: