Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why do I obsess over the stupidest things!!

Why do I obsess over the stupidest things!!

I know this is crazy, but I really worry about my sewing machine light burning out. (Pfaff Quilt Expressions 4.2 IDT)

There is more than one light, but they look to me that they are encased. I wonder if it is better to leave my sewing machine on all day, as I go back to it many times, or should I turn it off. There is a burst of electricity each time it is turned off and back on, same as the light bulbs in a home, so maybe leaving it on is easier on the whole mechanism.

Maybe I should just forget it, and turn it off when not in use. I worry that the light bulb will go out and I might have to take it to the repair shop for replacement. I have no room anywhere for an Ott light beside my sewing machine. Does anyone have experience with the LED encased lights on your sewing machine?

Power Poster
    Good question. I don't know the answer - will be watching to see what it is.

Banned
    I've been told that LEDs do not burn out. They are not like regular light bulbs. Both times I've had an issue with an LED light, it's been the power source not the LEDs themselves.

Cari

Interesting question. Off subject but do you have it hooked up to some surge protector?? Nothing can take out anything that runs on electricity than a power surge. I had it happened one time to my phone/answering machine. Think how much you paid for you DSM or LA. I only buy Belkin. They are the best.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Quote Originally Posted by RosaSharon View Post
    I know this is crazy, but I really worry about my sewing machine light burning out. (Pfaff Quilt Expressions 4.2 IDT)

There is more than one light, but they look to me that they are encased. I wonder if it is better to leave my sewing machine on all day, as I go back to it many times, or should I turn it off. There is a burst of electricity each time it is turned off and back on, same as the light bulbs in a home, so maybe leaving it on is easier on the whole mechanism.

Maybe I should just forget it, and turn it off when not in use. I worry that the light bulb will go out and I might have to take it to the repair shop for replacement. I have no room anywhere for an Ott light beside my sewing machine. Does anyone have experience with the LED encased lights on your sewing machine?
    Thanks everyone! I completely forgot about the power surger. I told my DH and he said we have a new one in the garage. He will get it for me.

Power Poster
    Relax! They have dandy little light with bendable necks at IKEA or lights you can stick on if you don't want the cost of replacing your lights. There are even lights that clip on your glasses to light right where you are working.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Relax! They have dandy little light with bendable necks at IKEA or lights you can stick on if you don't want the cost of replacing your lights. There are even lights that clip on your glasses to light right where you are working.
    It's not the cost at all. It's the trip to the sewing machine shop from where I bought it. My DH has to take me, and I would have to leave my sewing machine there for around 10 days -- It's more about the inconvenience. I appreciate your ideas though, and I will sure get one of those I can stick on. Sounds good! Thanks.

Senior Member Cheshirecatquilter's Avatar
    LEDs don't get hot and burn out the way regular, old fashioned light bulbs do. They also use a very tiny bit of electricity, .7 volts versus 120 volts for light bulbs, so it won't cost you much to leave them on.

Quote Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
    I've been told that LEDs do not burn out. They are not like regular light bulbs. Both times I've had an issue with an LED light, it's been the power source not the LEDs themselves.

Cari
    That sounds good Cari! I hope they won't burn out.

Blog Entries
    led's take a lot of time to wear down. find something good to worry about, like your fabric shrinking. don't worry, be happy!!!
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    led's take a lot of time to wear down. find something good to worry about, like your fabric shrinking. don't worry, be happy!!!

Lynnie, Good advise! I am always happy anyway, and I realized I could "Goggle" and see what the life of the LED lights are, and you are so right -- they take a looooong time. I'll burn out before they will. hahaha

I dont worry about much even if the doctor wants to do tests. Heck, until he tells me I am dying, i carry on! The sewing machine light? Nah.

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

funny you should mention this. The very same thing happened with my pfaff quilt expression. replaced the bulb 3 times in about 5 minutes and all popped out when turned on AND it was connected through a surge protector. Could be a different problem. Using my Janome

Blog Entries
    I keep a couple of extra bulbs in stock. My vintage machine has a door that swings open to reveal the light bulb and it is an easy replacement.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

Mine is 20 years old. I turn off when finished sewing or leave it on until tomorrow. Never had a problem.
    Always in Stitches,

So blessed in the opportunity of life, the gifts of nature, and the choice to do good to others. I'm thankful for this day.
    http://www.photographicendeavors.com

I've been sewing for over 40 years and I've never had a bulb burn out. Sometimes I leave the machine on for several hours and other days it's off and on all day. I have a ten needle embroidery machine, it has LED bulbs down by the needles and so far I've not had any problems with those either and they are on all the time.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I have a small LED that takes up about as much space as a credit card. Got it at a hardware store. It's shaped like a triangle. I put a small piece of adhesive Velcro in an out of the way space and attached the light to it. Gives off almost more light than I need!!

Blog Entries
    Try the bendable bright lite ( available in all the quilt online stores and Joannes). it attaches to your machine so takes up no room. I can't sew without mine

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    Interesting question. Off subject but do you have it hooked up to some surge protector?? Nothing can take out anything that runs on electricity than a power surge. I had it happened one time to my phone/answering machine. Think how much you paid for you DSM or LA. I only buy Belkin. They are the best.
    Every one of my electronic items are plugged into surge protectors. I only use UL listed surge protectors with a light so I can see when they are on. (I learned the hard way not to use the cheap ones, they are outlet bars, not surge protectors. It only cost me a coffee machine to learn the difference.)
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

The only place I like LED lighting is on my sewing machine. The overhead LEDs put me in a jarring mood. I can't shop or stay in any place that has all LED lighting without getting anxious and out of sorts. I put one in my porch light (my little fun) and it stays on 24/7 so far it has lasted for over two years.

DH said all our outlets have built in serge protection in the outlet itself. When our house was hit with lightening a few years ago he had all new outlets put in. Less then the cost of new fridge, freezer, tvs, and even the lamps.

OH, forgot. Serge protectors you plug in have be replaced after a big serge. They get weak and won't protect after several surges. The outlets serge we have are on a big serge unit that is replaceable.
    Last edited by Onebyone; 05-10-2015 at 09:38 AM.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

You can buy an strip of LED lights that attach to your machine with an adhesive strip. These plug into your power bar. They are available in hardware and home stores. Originally designed for under cabinet use.

I must say that I have been sewing for 50 years on a variety of brands of machines. I have NEVER had a sewing machine light burn out. The machine died before the light did.

My WorkHorse Elna Supermatic is fifty years old: she still has the original bulb.

*LOL* In fact, I'm getting her out today (along with the two eBay parts backups ) to do some routine maintenance before using her to piece. I'll check to see if all three bulbs still light up. I know WorkHorse's bulb worked six months ago when I used her to repair some sailing stuff.

My Sweet Sapphire had to go to be serviced. On Friday she splattered a big fat black oil blob on a table-mat I was within four minutes of finishing.
    If life gives you lemons, make Limoncello!

Quote Originally Posted by RosaSharon View Post

How old is your machine? The sewing machine lights usually last for years. I bought my machine 9/14, its a wonderful machine.
    Sharon W.

Blog Entries
    don't stress over a light. there are many more things more important.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast