Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Meaurements for 6" Square in a Square Block?

  1. #1
    Junior Member Kryssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Santa Clara, CA
    Posts
    208
    Hi All,

    I'm designing my own quilt for the first time and I want to make 6" (finished sized) square in a square blocks that look like the one i'm attaching.

    How do I figure out how big to cut the pieces?

    Thanks!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    fullerton ca
    Posts
    681
    well i have read that there is a 1/4 seam on each side so if you want a 6" it would be 6 1/2 before u sew it in. try measurements after the 1/4's are in on all 4 sides it should be 6 inches finished size i will check my guide in the morning to be sure.
    mema

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    847
    It's been a long time since I made this block but I think you cut 2 squares 6 1/2".
    One block is the center.
    Cut the other block diagonally twice and they will be your corners.
    I hope this is right.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    7,377
    Blog Entries
    1
    To make your corner triangles so that the finished square is 6 inches, cut a square 9 3/4 inches, then cut twice diagonally.

    If you want to have a little fudge factor, add an extra 1/4 or 1/2 inch to the square.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    847
    Oops thanks for correcting me GaiGai--:thumbup:
    I never was good with math

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    7,377
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by fabric-holic
    Oops thanks for correcting me GaiGai--:thumbup:
    I never was good with math
    I take no credit! :roll: I have a free app on my ipod! :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    fullerton ca
    Posts
    681
    Quote Originally Posted by memathomas
    well i have read that there is a 1/4 seam on each side so if you want a 6" it would be 6 1/2 before u sew it in. try measurements after the 1/4's are in on all 4 sides it should be 6 inches finished size i will check my guide in the morning to be sure.
    mema
    http://www.ctpub.com/client/Products...geLg/10322.jpg
    quick & easy block tool i looked it up and i think i was an inch off

  8. #8
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    1,588
    If you go to quiltville.com she has a cutting chart for square in a square for any finished size you want.

    Scroll down and look on the right.

  9. #9
    Super Member Barb_MO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    2,117
    Quote Originally Posted by gaigai
    To make your corner triangles so that the finished square is 6 inches, cut a square 9 3/4 inches, then cut twice diagonally.

    If you want to have a little fudge factor, add an extra 1/4 or 1/2 inch to the square.
    That would put the outside pieces on the biase and you wouldn't want that.

    To get the corner triangles, you would take you finish size and add 7/8" and then cut corner to corner and get two half square triangles. I don't do 7/8...I add at least 1" to mine,

  10. #10
    Super Member Barb_MO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    2,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_MO
    Quote Originally Posted by gaigai
    To make your corner triangles so that the finished square is 6 inches, cut a square 9 3/4 inches, then cut twice diagonally.

    If you want to have a little fudge factor, add an extra 1/4 or 1/2 inch to the square.
    That would put the outside pieces on the biase and you wouldn't want that.

    To get the corner triangles, you would take you finish size and add 7/8" and then cut corner to corner and get two half square triangles. I don't do 7/8...I add at least 1" to mine,
    Sorry, I was wrong about that.

    This is what quiltville has.

    http://quiltville.com/onpointmath.shtml

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.