Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Meaurements for 6" Square in a Square Block? >

Meaurements for 6" Square in a Square Block?

Meaurements for 6" Square in a Square Block?

Old 06-04-2010, 04:07 AM
Banned

I would draw the block on graph paper the finished size and add seam allowance to the two pieces and then measure the sides \from there. When you sew the triangles on the sides, be sure and mark the center of the side of the square and the the center of the long side of the triangle. You will be assured of getting an even distribution of the seams if you need to square up.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

As someone else has already suggested -

Draw the block on graph paper - measure the pieces and add seam allowances.

Remember to draw in the grain lines.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:50 PM

The quilt I am working on right now calls for this square in a square and I have been struggling with this same thing. On the website discussed in this thread i found a video on making this square in a square. You might want to check it out cause it will take the worry out of us having the triangles the correct size. I am going to make my squares the way this video says to do it from here out. Also their chart will help us to know what size squares to start out with. I am so glad you wrote in about this cause it solves a big problem for me. The quilt I am working on now is my first with the square in a square, flying geese and hst. I have done the geese before and really messed up that quilt with my geese that were all out of wack. I since bought rulers to make my geese and now they are perfect. Now if i can conquer the sq in a sq and the hst I will be good to go. I am having a little prob with my hst. Here is the link for the video. http://quiltville.com/sqinsqtutorial.shtml
Old 06-04-2010, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Barb_MO
Originally Posted by Barb_MO
Originally Posted by gaigai
To make your corner triangles so that the finished square is 6 inches, cut a square 9 3/4 inches, then cut twice diagonally.

If you want to have a little fudge factor, add an extra 1/4 or 1/2 inch to the square.
That would put the outside pieces on the biase and you wouldn't want that.

To get the corner triangles, you would take you finish size and add 7/8" and then cut corner to corner and get two half square triangles. I don't do 7/8...I add at least 1" to mine,
Sorry, I was wrong about that.

This is what quiltville has.

http://quiltville.com/onpointmath.shtml
Thanks for this website!! It solved alot of problems for me. I am anxious to get sewing in the morning now that this site has opened my eyes to a few things. It is a very informative site. This group is so helpful!! I am always looking in several times a day and learning more and more all the time.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:23 PM

If you don't mind the blocks coming out a little bigger then cut your center square 5 inches and cut two corner squares 4 inches and cut in half. The scrap quilts I make for the girls are made with this block and black sashing. The finished block size is 6 1/4.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:18 AM

barb mo
thanks for the link i saved it and will use it

thanks
memathomas