Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Meeting seams of a multi-seamed block >

Meeting seams of a multi-seamed block

Meeting seams of a multi-seamed block

Old 02-17-2014, 05:21 AM

Default Meeting seams of a multi-seamed block

I made lots of the disappearing four patch blocks and at the point to join the squares for a top.

Do you make all the seams mesh or let them fall where they land? If the seam is ironed oneway to suit a previous seam, do you let it twist the other way to suit the next seam? This sounds confusing!
Old 02-17-2014, 05:47 AM

I use the "pinwheel" method for my seams. (Unstitching 3-4 stitches inside the newest seam allowance and pressing all seams as if they were going around a pinwheel, ie. clockwise)
But if that alone doesn't let all seams nest into one another, I don't twist them.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:56 AM

I just saved this to my Pinterest board last week. http://www.rileyblakedesigns.com/cut...-tricks-tools/
Old 02-17-2014, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

I like it when my seams nest but it doesn't always work out. If the inner seams in a block need to be pressed a certain way, I don't change that just to get nesting seams when sewing the blocks together. When piecing a quilt, if I have a twisted seam though, I do go back and fix it before making my quilt sandwich.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:46 AM

I do the pinwheel where I can JennyPenny, but this different! I tried to go to your link Aunt Piggy, but it said "unhandled excemption." I think Tartan's is the way - I just tried to change the directions of the way I had pressed the seam, to get the seams to nest, and I had a real mess. Plus, I repositioned some of the blocks all together and now I am just ripping along! Me and my best friend!
Old 02-17-2014, 10:10 AM
Power Poster

I had no problem with the link per Aunt Piggylpn but all things are different. I think sometimes one can combine different tips to make things work well.
Originally Posted by jbud2 View Post
I do the pinwheel where I can JennyPenny, but this different! I tried to go to your link Aunt Piggy, but it said "unhandled excemption." I think Tartan's is the way - I just tried to change the directions of the way I had pressed the seam, to get the seams to nest, and I had a real mess. Plus, I repositioned some of the blocks all together and now I am just ripping along! Me and my best friend!
Old 02-17-2014, 05:47 PM

The link from auntpiggylpn is very good except I'd rather take out 3-4 stitches than stretch the fabric. I just used this technique for the night and Day quilt when I joined four blocks to make a 12" block. It worked beautifully except where I altered joining the seams on one row of the seven. I nested the seams and stitched but in the wrong direction so that when I joined the rows, I could not nest the seams because they were going in the same direction. I had to rip out a little to fix this. The seams are all now beautiful and I think it all has to do with the nesting of the seams. Hope you understand what I'm saying.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:04 PM
Power Poster

Sometimes I do like in the link....
other times I will snip a short length of the seam allowance and just turn that small area so that I get the nesting effect....
Old 02-17-2014, 11:03 PM

When I need to Match I use a pin and open seam. By pinning in the very centre of the seam on both sides I find it works everytime to a thread difference. For four sections would do two together then two then four pin and sew over centre first with large stitch check then sew over again with small stitch.