Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Methods for Applique

I'm torn everytime I see a quilt pattern I like and discover the applique is only fused on. I don't trust these to stand up to the wear and tear of use. I know people blanket stitch the edges but it just doen't appeal to me.
    Is anyone else reluctant to use this method in anything other than a wall hanging?

If you do find such a pattern, consider adding seam allowance and needle turning. I've made a couple of Christmas quilt tops (that I hope to get finished soon! and I just figured they wouldn't need an awful lot of washing.

I like only needle-turn by hand or satin stitching by machine around the edges. I don't like the raw edge/blanket stitch look either. As Marymm said, you could add seam allowances to patterns you like.

you can apply the applique any way you choose, just remember to add some to turn if it isn't included in the pattern, it doesn't take a full 1/4"

I feel the same way and either modify to put it on with interfacing or needle turn. The other ones stay wall hangings.

the only time I have used fusible applique is on a wall hanging all my quilts (I do mainly applique) are all needleturn just allow enough for turning under and use the pattern you've got

I too am having this problem. When my girls were little I did a lot of appliques on their clothing. I didn't like how hard the applique was after it was fused. So if I ever do any appliques quilts I will needle turn and some how find a way of keeping it in place without the fusing it because there is NO place in my quilts for a stiff applique. Im a newbie and to me quilts are for cuddling and snuggling...I have yet to make anything I want to display on the wall!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryKatherine
    I'm torn everytime I see a quilt pattern I like and discover the applique is only fused on. I don't trust these to stand up to the wear and tear of use. I know people blanket stitch the edges but it just doen't appeal to me.
    Is anyone else reluctant to use this method in anything other than a wall hanging?
    I like fusing only for certain applications. Most of the time I prefer to do machine applique using the freezer paper method. (Learned this from Harriet Hargrave's book.)

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I use the Eleanor Burns method. Fusible interfacing stitched around the piece, turned inside out and stitched down. It gives a finished edge to the piece. You can see more about it at her Quilt in a Day website.

Blog Entries
    I personally don't care for raw edge applique but for those who do, more power to you! I have done needle turn but since I prefer a more instant gratification, I use satin stitch most of the time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast